Acer Swift 3 (SF314-51) touchpad issues

doeg
doeg Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi.

I just bought the Acer Swift 3 laptop and I have a couple of issues with the touchpad.

First, the scrolling randomly disappears in web browsers (mainly Chrome, but experienced in Firefox too) and I have to restart to get it to work again. When I switch to other application like Word, the scrolling works as normal. It seems the scroll doesn't like the internet.

Second, the trackpad makes the button clicking noise even when I just slide my finger to position the cursor. I have worked out that it only happens if I slide on the bottom half of the pad and not on the top. So it seems that the touchpad has a small movement/give over the buttons, i.e. not firm enough. It is not a huge issue, but it annoys me greatly as it is like telling me "did you know that you have stopped moving your fingers??".

I have searched the forum for the first problem, so I will try a couple of things (I already removed the driver and reinstalled it with no luck).

I also read that sending the mahcine to Acer does not always fix things, especially when something is intermittent.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

Answers

• doeg

I did some more testing and it seems that the button click noise and the scrolling issue are related. They appear together randomly. I've been using the machine for about 5 minutes without issues and suddenly the noise on touch release appeared and with it the scrolling stopped. After another 5 minutes everything has gone back to normal.

I think I have to contact Acer support.

• eirjon
    eirjon Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I am having the exact same issue with the touchpad clicking noise. Bought the Swift 3 just last week, never noticed any clicking noise until today which suggests to me it has randomly appeared rather than being present from the outset.

I've not experienced the first issue you mentioned.

I wonder if you had followed up with Acer?

Many thanks

• doeg

The scrolling issue seems to be sorted by reinstalling the touchpad driver (some issues are still present if I am using a protected browser like Kaspersky's, so it is definitely a software issue). The clicking still happens. I haven't contacted Acer yet as I wanted to "live" with the noise a little to see how annoying this is. Especially as I understand I would have to pay for any postage to Acer and I am almost sure they wouldn't see this as a problem and would just send it back.

• eirjon
    eirjon Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks very much for your reply. I may just take mine back to the retailer and see what they say. I am finding the clicking noise very annoying.

• doeg