SSD troubles Help!

AVJim
AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an samsung m.2 sata 3 installed in my g9-793-pe.   I wanted to put in a nvme drive I just picked up.  I took the sata 3 m.2 out and put it in an enclosure to see if I could clone it...I then installed the nvme into my m.2 slot...problem started that I could'nt boot off the external enclosure...so I decided to just put the m.2 sata back in and go from there...when I do I keep getting a "no bootable device " error and my system won't boot...

Trying not to panick...

Any help or ideas here would be appreciated...the m.2 sata 3 is brand new and been functioning perfectly

Answers

• AVJim

Ok after messing with the Samsung SSD to no avail I put in my original Lite-on 256gb ssd and was able to boot onto that...I am now cloning that onto the 850 ssd that seems to have lost everything...and I'll try this again...don't know why the samsung was not working and no idea why it erased itself of 350gb of data...but it is being recognized in my enclosure and am in the cloning process. 

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,102 Trailblazer

Hi,

You could also try using Minitool Partition Wizard to migrate to 850 from M.2 SATA SSD, then remove the M.2 SATA SSD, install NVMe SSD, migrate the 850 to it, remove the 850 and try booting with NVMe SSD.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

• AVJim

Thanks for the quick response.  Currently I'm using the samsung magician software and it seems fine I just can't get my laptop to boot off of the sata 3 ssd for some reason...

Ok well I put the Samsung evo 850 back in and it's working albeit with some lost game installs etc...I could not get the system to boot with this ssd in the enclosure so cloning to the 960 evo is still problematic...going to see if I can find an external enclosure that can deal with the NVME drive.