Acer predator g5-793(kaby lake) m.2 SSD compatibility?

Skz
Skz Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I checked the other similar topics, but i couldn't find a definitive answer.

I would like to ask for some help regarding that matter. I am looking for an SSD, which to use as a boot drive. So far i found out that the m.2 slot is M type 2280, and it should only support SATA 3. I wonder if there are any changes to that with the new kaby lake model. I found an identical system on userbenchmark with Samsung PM961 MZVLW128 installed, scoring read/write results way above the SATA 3 limitations.

Is NVMe supported on the new kaby lake model? And if it's not, is there a posibility that we'll get BIOS update for that in the future?

Should i get PM961, or there are better options. 

My exact model is G5-793-79ER  NHQ1XEX002

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Yes, you can use a NVMe SSD in your laptop as this can be installed:MZVPV512HDGL, if you want to check whether your laptop has two lanes or 4 lanes capability, read the post in this thread:http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-and-M-Series-Laptops/Acer-Aspire-E5-575-52JF-m-2-nvme-support/td-p/497241

If you have Maximum Link width 4x, it could achieve the advertised speed, if it has 2x, it will work at half the speed advertised by the manufaturer.

• Skz

Thank you for the quick response.

I checked with HWiNFO and it does say Maximum Link width 4x, so i should be good to go. But in an older thread about g5-793 it was stated that while the the m.2 port does support PCIe X4, there are some BIOS limitation conserning the NVMe interface and a Samsung 950 Pro was not recognized.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Acer-Predator-17-G5-793-M2-ssd-upgrade/td-p/476483

Is that no longer the case in the kaby lake series? If that's so then i should be fine with any of these models: pm961/sm961/960evo?

Offtopic: I would apreciate a tip to which one to choose in terms of longevity and real-life performance. I am looking into the ~256gb range, and the laptop is used mostly for gaming.

https://prnt.sc/fbvtjw

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer

Hi,

I couldn't find any information about BIOS limitations, as you have a 4x Maximum Link Width, it should be fine in my opinion, even if there's any restrictions, it would still be 3x faster than normal SATA drive, I would suggest you to get a 960 Evo or a PM961, if you transfer data very often, you could benefit from SM961(slightly expensive).

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

if you do get a nvme drive please report back here if it works.

• Skz

Yes i will. I am still sceptical so i'll contact acer support before buying one next week.

• Skz

I got confirmation from a store, where they sell this model, that it can indeed use NVMe.(They sell that exact model with a pre-intalled NVMe SSD) Sadly I can't give a hands-on feedback yet, because I have some warranty issues that I need to sort out first. I'll post an update whenever i get my hands on a SSD.

• Blue32
    Blue32 Member Posts: 1 New User

I got g9-593 model and was curious about the same Question about NVME SSD update did it work with you Mr.Tinkerer . Smiley Happy

• Skz

Hey, as far as I know there shouldn't be a problem on the G9 models. You should do what brummyfan2 suggested to check your lanes.

As for my case, I didn't try it yet. I purchased extended acer care plus warranty which is still not active. I want to sort that out first before I tinker further with the laptop. I did add some more crucial ram in it though, which is working perfectly.