Acer Aspire One AO1-131

Philh3482
Philh3482 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

The problem I am having is memory shortage only 32Gb of RAM, when I bought the notebook is was Windows 8.1 but it was sold as Windows 10 up gradable. When I upgraded to W10 it was necessary to add a 32gb SD card because temporary file storage was needed for the upgrade process, upon completion without Office installed I had 5.5Gb of RAM free. I later installed the trial MS Office and a few other apps that I like to use and all was well, until windows updates came along and gradually I have deleted Office and all other apps that I have installed and now all the AB apps that came with it, I have now removed everything I know that is safe to uninstall, all temporary files and recycle bin are clean and I now have 1Gb of RAM spare and the latest windows up dates won't install due to insufficient storage, the update seems to ignore the SD card. I bought this 15 months ago and now the security is compromised and possibly the future of the Notebook because it appears windows 10 has grown in size. I still have a free version of Avira antivirus installed not sure about the size of this but it is needed.

Has anybody else had this problem??

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

This is a common issue of so-called cloudbooks by many mfrs due to the essentially fixed limited size its solid state drive to keep mfg  costs & prices reasonably low. The assumption here being that most personal data and applications are stored and run from an external drive such as a USB stick or online in the "cloud" such as googledrive, not locally on a larger hard or solid state drive which would add to costs. A cloudbook is NOT a full-capability laptop.

I'm not sure why you feel a 3rd party AV freeware like you have is "needed". Protections already built-in to the Win8.1 & Win10 systems. And stand-alone freeware scanners that are regularly updated, can detect far more threats, and take up little drive space are now available.

Your particularly cloudbook came factory-equipped with, and probably operates best as intended on, Win8.1. If the hidden recovery partition on its solid state drive is still intact after installing Win10, you can probably restore the cloudbook to its factory-delivered Win8.1 condition while saving your personal data. But you have to decide if Win8.1 was any better or worse than dealing with the Win10 operating system you have now.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Philh3482
    Philh3482 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for your reply

When I bought it was sold as Windows 10 and I was surprised to see 8.1 when I started it up but at the time W10 was freely available so I figured that is what they meant. 
              However it is what it is now so if down grading to 8.1 is the fix and it can be recovered I will try that, if not would windows 7 may have a size advantage over 8.1, I am saying this because OEM versions are available at low cost at present, perhaps even the x86 version of W7 may use less space, I have just installed this on an old laptop and the total size after updates is 16.1 question is will it work on the Acer. 

I take on board your comment about the need for 3rd party AV I didn't know if I could trust it so perhaps that needs to be the first thing to try, problem is I don't have access to it at present its on holiday in Spain.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer

>>>When I bought it was sold as Windows 10 and I was surprised to see 8.1>>>

You might find that the hidden recovery partition on the drive is Win10. If this partition is still intact, you can re-set it to a factory-fresh state by following this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuljT0a8F7I

In theory, Win10 should take up less space than Win8.1 or even Win7. In practice, however, the Win10 updates of the factory-reset Win10 system may cause installation issues due to limited capabilities in this type of laptop. You should be able to continue satisfactorily running the factory-reset state, whether Win10 or Win8.1, without also running Winupdates.

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ