Aspire E15 ES!-512-P84G Un-updated from 10 to 8.1 by itself

wmcurtisan
wmcurtisan Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have two Acer laptops. 

The one listed in the subject line worked fine for a long time.  I updated the operating system to 10 from 8.1 within the alotted time.  However, after microsoft created a new windows 10 update that basically installed a new version of the windows 10 operating system, this computer would no longer update.   My other acer aspire computer updated just fine.  Also, I did a re-install on my other acer computer from the hard disc.  It reinstalled, not version 8.1, which came with it, but version 10.0,, which was the update taht came with the purchase.  

I tried the same time with this computer, and the reinstalled version was the old 8.1 version, not the new version.  I tried installing from the usb backup I made.  It did not work; i could not get the computer to boot from the usb port.  Yes, I do know something about the bios and even updated the bios to the lastest version 1.15.  I changed the order of the reboot to have the usb boot first.  I also could not get the computer to boot from a bootable DVD. I reinstalled the drivers from the website.  I tried to reinstall windows 10 from the website, which I could do.   It would not install.  Also, none of the updates to windows 8.1. would not install.  The touch pad also stopped working.  (Fixing the touchpad was easy.  I changed the bios setting from "advanced" to "basic.")

At this point I have spent probably 30 to 35 hours trying to fix this problem.  I have a degree in Math/CS and worked as a programmer years ago in Silicon Valley so I my knowledge may be dated, but I am not completely unsophicated.  I have re-installed the system.

I have tried standalone updates to windows 8.1.  I can download and run them, but some check for updates prior to updating.  At that point, the screen says "checking for updates" and seems to go into an infinite loop.  I have let it run for 24 hous to see if it would finish. It did not.  This was the same thing it did when I ran the windows update feature.

The windows update trouble shooter gives an error message and says to contact the vendor.

Also, the acer website always suggested windows 10 64-bit operating system when I check for new drivers.  Moreover, the windows website will let me download windows 10.

Therefore, I would like to reistalled windows 10 and have it update.    If that is not possible, I would like to have windows 8.1 be able to update.    

I have probably tried anything anyone will suggest, but go ahead and suggest it anyway if you think it might help.

Thanx.  Curtis

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

first thing to check, is your BIOS set as Legacy or UEFI?

set it to UEFI

then

download the iso file of microsoft windows 10 (x64) http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    download Rufus, plug an USB flash drive and set Rufus as on the home page screen:
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US
    click on the little disk icon on Rufus and point to the downloaded iso file
    let Rufus copy the installation files on USB flash drive

plug the USB flash drive to your laptop, press F12 at next boot and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device (if F12 doesn't work, see if it auto-recognise the USB flash drive or press F2 to enter BIOS and enable F12 boot menu under BOOT tab)
    proceed with windows 10 installation and skip the product key request

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • wmcurtisan
    wmcurtisan Member Posts: 2 New User

I tired a couple of more things after I made the above post.  I got 1.5 gig of updates.  Now, on restart, I see an "updating your system (0%)" message.  After a while the computer goes to sleep.  I can go no further.  I do get the "automatic repair" message, but then it goes to teh updating your system message.

Also, I went through the bios and could not find the word legacy or UFEI? options or even the words anywhere.  my ssn is 44800824666.  Maybe this computer does not have that option.  I am now using the lates BIOS downloaded from the acer website.

thanx. 

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Legacy/UEFI setting is under BOOT tab on BIOS.

i think it's better if you re-do the windows 10 installation as i wrote in my previous post, just add a step to completly wipe your HDD/SSD.

Shift+F10 at language/keyboard screen options, to enter Command prompt.

once in command prompt type
    diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean all
    type

exit

proceed to windows installation

be very patient since it will take some hours to completly the clean all command.

I'm not an Acer employee.