Acer Predator G9 vs. Triton 700

Options
vorob
vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11313/acer-announces-predator-triton-700-gaming-laptop

Any info on this case? What's that? The successor to the old thick series?

From here, this Triton 700 looks like a device more powerful and better than the current Predator G9, and having normal design, thin case and packed with geforce 1080.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options

More like the successor of the 21X ( but with slightly weaker CPU and one GTX1080). If it is possible to make a laptop so thin and with GTX1080, why predator 21X is so thick? Even the g9 models run so hot even with bigger fans (but it looks like triton has more heatpipes). If the processor won't heat up so much as the g9 series, then it means they have used better thermal paste. As far as I know Triton700 can be overclocked from PredatorSense, which means likely at the same level as GX-792. What I don't like about this laptop is the position of the keyboard and the track pad.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

ven98 wrote:

More like the successor of the 21X ( but with slightly weaker CPU and one GTX1080). If it is possible to make a laptop so thin and with GTX1080, why predator 21X is so thick? Even the g9 models run so hot even with bigger fans (but it looks like triton has more heatpipes). If the processor won't heat up so much as the g9 series, then it means they have used better thermal paste. As far as I know Triton700 can be overclocked from PredatorSense, which means likely at the same level as GX-792. What I don't like about this laptop is the position of the keyboard and the track pad.

I am wanting to try it before I make a judgement but it seems to me the touchpad above the keyboard is a little awkward.  I'd have to try it for awhile to see if I would like it. 

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    It will probably be very hard to get used to this touchpad. Most important is the temperatures of CPU and GPU. GTX1080 won't have any problems but will definitely run hotter than GX-792, which will affect the CPU temperatures. If they reduce the voltage of the CPU this help a lot not like the G9s and GXs. It might run hot but it might also run hot more than enough, which will cause throttling.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• OkamiKozure
    OkamiKozure Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

AVJim wrote:

ven98 wrote:

[trimmed] What I don't like about this laptop is the position of the keyboard and the track pad.

I am wanting to try it before I make a judgement but it seems to me the touchpad above the keyboard is a little awkward.  I'd have to try it for awhile to see if I would like it. 

Honestly, I think the touchpad location would make for a better typing experience, putting the screen further away from the user. The new trackpad position would eliminate inadvertent touchs and clicks. Personally, whether I'm writing or gaming, I don't use the touchpad anyway, but a Logitech M570 trackball. I'd say I have the touchpad enabled about 5% of the time that I use my laptop, but I might be encouraged to enable the trackpad and actually use it in the new position!