Acer Aspire R11 R3-131T strange SD card reader problem

Sandlab1
Sandlab1 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Answers

• Sandlab1

I have found a strange problem with my newly purchased Acer Aspire R3-131T and would be interested to hear if anybody can explain. I have Win10 installed and fully updated.

I only started using the internal SD reader a few days ago. I tried a micro 64GB SDXC card, in its adaptor. It was recognised by File Explorer but does not get mounted. Disc Manager shows the drive (but named 0000) and hangs for a long time if I try to select it. I tested the card in two other machines and it works (R/W) without a problem. It even works on an old Acer Aspire One from 2010.

I then tried a micro 16GB SDHC card. Same problem. Works on other machines OK.

So then I tried an old 2GB SD - That worked in the R11 (as well as the other machines)! 

Next I tried an 8GB SDHC card - That also worked on the R11 (as well as other machines).

The 64Gb/16Gb/8GB Sd cards are Integral brand. The 2Gb card is a SanDisk.

So, can anybody explain why my SD internal reader on the Acer R11 appears to work when no adapter is present? How does it even identify that an adapter is present?

• Sandlab1

Two other points I meant to mention.

1. I found an SD Card reader BIOS update on the Acer site, for my machine. Installed it. Still had the same problem.

2. Important point - the 8GB SDHC card was a full size card. It did not have an adapter!  That is why the whole situation seems so weird.