Predator hard drive upgrade

t05ks
t05ks Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello everyone,  I just purchased a predator 17x.  I will be upgrading the 1TB hard drive with a Samsung EVO 1TB SSD. The operating system is on the factory 512 SSD so i dont have to clone the new drive which currently has nothing on it (the computer is factory fresh and nothing has been added to the current HD).  My question is, Is there anything that I will need to do once I swap the hard drive out? Or is the swap just plug and play with no other tweaks needed?  Thanks for the replies everyone.

Best Answer

• ghostrunner007
    ghostrunner007 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

did this on my predator 17X , after it boots you have to go into disk management and install the partition after that the laptop just flies.loads BF1 fast

Answers

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Should just be plug and play.  It might take a little longer to boot up the first time as it recognizes the new configuration. 

• t05ks

Thanks for the reply AVJim. That is what I was thinking, but I don't do this everyday so it's good to get a little more experience involved.

• AVJim
    AVJim Member Posts: 110 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Man that is going to be one stacked machine with 1.5 terabytes of SSD goodness!  Enjoy!

• ghostrunner007
    ghostrunner007 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓

did this on my predator 17X , after it boots you have to go into disk management and install the partition after that the laptop just flies.loads BF1 fast

• t05ks

Thank you for the reply ghostrunner!  The operating system is on a seperate 512gb, so i am wondering why the need for the partition?  Is that to preserve the software that comes with the SSD?  please excuse my lack of experience with this.  I have partitioned drives before so thats not a problem.

• t05ks

Ghostrunner, Ok, installed the new drive and I see why you did what you did. All is good. Thank you for your reply!