Recovery Drive Installed Win 8, Instead Of Win 10

Henry_Coolidge
Henry_Coolidge Member Posts: 13 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I replaced the HDD with an SSD, then used a USB drive to recover Windows. However the recovery process installed Win 8 instead of Win 10. I used a current updated version of Win 10 to create the recovery drive. How do I locate and reinstall Win 10? 

The laptop is an Aspire V3-572P that was delivered with Win 8. I downloaded and upgraded to Win 10 after receiving the laptop. I have a legitimate Product Key for Win 10, but can't find a site to recover and reinstall Win 10 without paying for it. The laptop does not have an optical drive, so Win 10 must be downloaded, unless I can locate it on the recovery drive. Thanks for any suggestions.

Best Answer

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

When I clean install vanilla Windows 10, I delete all of the partitions first.  Honestly I don't know what you mean by reformatting.  I never reformat or format.  I let the Windows installer automatically partition and format the drive.

1. Boot the Windows 10 Installation media (enable the F12 boot menu in your BIOS).

2. Select Custom Installation

3. Delete all of your partitions on your HDD

4.  Click Next.......and the Windows installer will automatically partition and format your HDD....and install vanilla Windows 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

uefiinstall.PNG

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• JordanB

1. Click on link below and download the tool and run it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

downtool.PNG

2. Select Upgrade this PC.

3.  That's it.

• Henry_Coolidge

Thanks, I installed the upgrade. However, after the installation when I tried to create a Win 10 Recovery drive, I was given the same menu that created a Win 8 recovery. Is there something that I'm missing? Thanks for any suggestions.

• JordanB

If you want to create a Windows 10 recovery drive, then use the tool to create installation media.  The installation media is also a recovery drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Henry_Coolidge

Thanks.  I've created the Win 10 Install drive. The Install task starts okay, but it gets hung up "Checking for Updates", remaining at 0% for 30-45 minutes. I tried to "X" out of the install, but that got hung for 20 minutes Cleaning Up the install. Finally, I killed the Install with Task Manager, rebooted, and restarted the Installer, but the same condition occurred.

I'll try it a third time, but this time I'll insert the USB drive after the system has rebooted. If that fails, I'll reinstall the HDD and recreate the Win 10 Install in the USB drive after reformatting it the l-o-n-g way, not "quick".

Any suggestions?

• JordanB
    Answer ✓

When I clean install vanilla Windows 10, I delete all of the partitions first.  Honestly I don't know what you mean by reformatting.  I never reformat or format.  I let the Windows installer automatically partition and format the drive.

1. Boot the Windows 10 Installation media (enable the F12 boot menu in your BIOS).

2. Select Custom Installation

3. Delete all of your partitions on your HDD

4.  Click Next.......and the Windows installer will automatically partition and format your HDD....and install vanilla Windows 

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

uefiinstall.PNG

• Henry_Coolidge

Forget all above. I had the wrong USB drive assigned as primary boot....AAARGH. (With apologies to Charlie Brown)

All is now right with the world, or will be in a few days once I get programs and data reinstalled.

Thanks for your help anyway.