Aspire E5-511 Touchpad Hardware Missing

mct
mct Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

I've recently fixed my Acer Aspire E5-511 computer by reinstalling windows 10 through a USB, the details are in this post

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/unable-to-perfrom-reset-getting-error-code-as/a15d5394-c70b-46c2-9945-a779f01be14e

I have since reinstalled windows 10 and everything works fine (so far), however, the hardware for the touchpad is missing

I have tried to download both drivers on the ACER website (elantech and synaptics), and they both say that they have successfully run, but this hasn't changed this. I've also tried running them in compatibility mode, but no luck there either. Under the device manager in "mice and other pointing devices", there isn't any option for the touchpad, only the wireless mouse I'm currently using.

I've just updated my BIOS to version 1.10, no such luck there either.

Please help :'(

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer

Open control panel. Search "mouse". Click "mouse". What devices do you see? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mct
    mct Member Posts: 2 New User

mousepic.png

this is what devices it shows. This is the mouse that I have plugged in.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer

Touchpad issues are fairly common with Win10 conversions. So I have 2 questions. (1) Do you recall if the touchpad ever worked under Win10 before the autorepair episode? (2) As originally suggested when you first contacted Microsoft, did you try to re-set your system with an ***ACER-provided*** Win8.1 installation USB and/or by the ACER Alt+F10 Win8.1 boot recovery method outside of the Windows environment?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Alex_04
    Alex_04 Member Posts: 1 New User
    LIMITED SOLUTION

Same issue here with Aspire E5-511-P87B with Win8.1 where touchpad has stopped working. I look through the web for a solution. Tried re-installing acer drivers but didn't help. Then i read that a BIOS update v1.10 might work but no luck there.

Finally for I looked in BIOS setup (by presing F2 right after turning on the laptop while screen is still black) and found there is an touchpad option for "Basic" or "Advanced". It was set to be "Advanced" so I tried changing it to "Basic" and hit Save and Exit and touchpad then worked after startup. 

However the functionality is limited to the basic like moving cursor around and left and right clicking, but atleast it works.

Hope it will help.