Can't boot from Recovery USB stick/drive after putting in new blank hard drive - Acer E5-511

Keefer
Keefer Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

2 year old laptop...hard drive corrupted/damaged so I bought a replacement solid state drive. I want to use my recovery USB drive to boot from to bring system back to life and set up new hard drive, but even though I've made the USB the top priority in the boot order it does nothing but go to an ACER utility that gives me options like chosing the language; troubleshooting; then resetting the system.  If I turn on the laptop without the USB plugged in it tells me there's no bootable device...so i know it sees it when it is plugged in...it just never boots from it (I'm assuming it would enter a recovery process, which is what I want).

What am I missing here?  Should I just give up on the recovery USB stick and just select "Reset your PC"?  Or can I somehow get it to boot off the USB and start the recovery process?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

Reset your PC is the correct choice to start the recovery process.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Keefer
    Keefer Member Posts: 6 New User
    Great thanks.

So will the process need the USB recovery stick at some point? And should I promote the new SSD to the top boot priority before I start?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if your USB is the recovery drive, yes it's needed, no need to set the SSD as the first bootable device, since UEFI needs windows boot manager as first bootable device.

I'm not an Acer employee.