How to get back DVD on Acer Aspire TC-780-AMZKi5 running Windows 10 64-bit

Options
edwardyung1123
edwardyung1123 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I was trying to install an old version of Anydvd and found that the DVD is no longer showing (inactive).  I uninstalled Anydvd and removed its (unsigned) DVD driver, but this did not help.  Could not restore to a state before installation either.  It looks like the driver coming with the machine was either missing or corrupted.  There was no specific driver for HL_DT_ST DVDRAM GUE1N on the Acer support page either.  How do I get the DVD drive to work again?  

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,106 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

Download the chipset driver from here:https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6817?b=1

Go to Device manager, expand IDEATA/ATAPI Controllers, right click and select Properties, uninstall the driver in Driver tab,

do not restart, install the downloaded driver and restart. HTH.

• edwardyung1123
    Options

Thanks for your help.  I need more guidance before attempting the fix you suggested.

What will happen if I uninstall the driver but somehow fail to install the downloaded Intel Chipset driver

(Chipset_Intel_10.1.1.38_W10x64_A)?  Will my PC become inoperable?  Will there be a way out of that if it happens?

I also need more details on what and how to intall the downloaded driver.

Right now the driver is Intel(R) 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller (Version 15.2.0.1020).

There is a box of "Uninstall" (Advanced) under the Properties tab, so I assume that I can uninstall it with ease.

I don't find anything with a similar name inside the extracted files of the downloaded Intel Chipset driver folder.

I saw an "Setup" application (74 KB) and inside the "Driver" folders there is a "SetupChipset" application (2839 KB).

Please tell me what I need to do (step-by-step) to install the downloaded driver.  Thanks!

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Current driver installed by the OS, the driver I have suggested is from Acer, you can download the driver, extract it and go to that folder, right click Setup file and select Run as Admin, it will not make your system inoperable. 

Capture.JPG

• edwardyung1123
    Options

I tried what you suggested and the problem persisted.  Actually now both the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and the DVD/CD-ROM drives on the Device manager window show the yellow warning sign.  Was I missing something?

When I uninstalled the driver file for the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, should I have clicked on "Delete the driver file" box?  I didn't.  

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Yes, you should have delete the files, if the driver is not installing, uninstall the drivers, reboot and windows will install the driver.

• edwardyung1123
    Options

The fixes did not work for me.  PC could not boot into Windows during restarting.  I was forced to reset my PC (reload the factory copy of Windows 10).  That got my DVD/CD-ROM back.  Of course I had to reinstall all the lost apps.

Thanks for the help anyways.