Acer R7-372T external monitor will not stay on with lid closed through TB3

LegacyCore
LegacyCore Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I purchased the R7-372T for the purpose of using it for work and home productivity.  But wanted to use it with a TB3 docking station to work with my desktop monitor, keyboard/mouse ect.  I have a Startech TB3DK2DPLPW docking station and it works great, I'm actually typing with my home desktop setup from the laptop now.  But my issue is, when I close the lid on my laptop the external monitor shuts off too.  Now, the very first time I setup the laptop to do nothing with lid closed it worked for a good hour.  I could close the lid and the external monitor would stay on.  But it changed when I was playing a video game and tried to set the game to full screen mode.  The game froze and locked down the laptop and I had to do a manual reboot.  Has not worked since then.

I've gone into power managment and set the lid to do nothing when it closes for both on and off power.  I've updated every single driver to the latest and greatest, as well as updated the TB3 firmware and the latest version of BIOS.  Monitor is an ASUS ROG 144hz 2k monitor running display port if that helps any at all.

The monitor is using display port going into the docking station, and TB3 from the docking station to the laptop.  I cannot figure out what's causing this...  It's almost like a setting has changed that's powering down the TB3 port on the laptop when the lid closes.  Despite the setting for the laptop to do nothing when the lid is closed.  Also if I do close the lid to the laptop, and the external monitor turns off.  I have to unplug the TB3 cable from the laptop, wait for the disconnected device sound and then I can open the lid again.  If I do not do this first, the laptop will lock up and a manual reboot is in order.  Any thought?