Acer Aspire ES 15 - Randomly freezes

2»

Answers

• Caralyn
    Caralyn Member Posts: 2 New User
    I too am having this problem. I have also noticed that, even when it is not frozen, typing words into search boxes etc. seems to lag.  It has been driving me mad!  I have faffed about trying too solve it, wondering if it has something to do with latest Windows 10 up-date.  I did experience this a few months ago and ended up restoring Windows 10 - but it was drastic and, obviously, not a permanent solution.

The only way i can get a temporary respite when the screen freezes and the cursor won't move is to power off and power on again.  After the last one I got a Blue Screen Error ...

I am not a techie, my laptop is less than 2 years old.  Any help gratefully received.
  • ChrisTheatreTrips
    ChrisTheatreTrips Member Posts: 2 New User
    A friend suggested the above problem could be cause by the automatic shut=down of screen or of sending the pc to sleep clashing with something in Windows 10. I re-set both these timed options to 'Never' and the problem has gone away. Hope this works for you too.
     Chris
  • Caralyn
    Caralyn Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello again.  In desperation last night I reset ... again.  I chose the 'Restore' option which allows you to keep files but wipes just about everything else off and then reinstalls Windows.  It's a pain because you lose just about any application which isn't included in the basic Windows /Microsoft /Intel package.  And those that are saved, such as Office, require a new sign in.   I took about 3 - 4 hours but, (fingers tightly crossed), it seems to have resolved the problems I was having with lag and with freezing - so far.

I am no technician, but I do observe that this problem coincides with Windows up-dates.  However, I'm not sure whether it is the up-date itself, or some other piece of software or application which is already on my laptop and which clashes with the new update.  It is my intention to avoid adding any other bits and pieces to the system, keep it as minimal as possible, and see if this helps to keep it in working order.

We've been boxed into a corner with IT, haven't we?  It has become almost impossible to function day to day without a working computer at your fingertips.

Best wishes
  • BT12345
    BT12345 Member Posts: 1 New User
    My Acer Aspire ES 15 crashes often as well.  I have noticed it crashes only when running of the battery, bot when plugged in.  I think it has to do with the Acer Power Management t software, could this be the cause?
  • BravoSix
    BravoSix Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I had this problem before with my laptop (E5-576G) . It turns out my Intel driver caused my laptop crashes or freezes with the buzzing sound before the laptop turned off by itself. I had to uninstall the driver and reinstall the previous working driver. The problem occurred with both acer support Intel driver and Official Intel driver.
  • Teach
    Teach Member Posts: 1 New User
    This is happening to me too.  Do I have to return my laptop? It is under warranty.
  • PitbullDad
    PitbullDad Member Posts: 3 New User
    I cant even get to the Windows Defender or go to Settings for a hard reset.
  • Edwin_R
    Edwin_R Member Posts: 2 New User
    You are all not alone with this problem, I also have an Aspire ES1-512, that freezes randomly. It can go all day and not freeze, and then it can freeze every 5 minutes on some days. It went back to Acer over a year ago, and they replaced the hard drive under warranty. After a few months it started doing it again. I don't use it very often, infact it's become unusable. I think the answer for all of us is to throw it in the trash, and buy a HP or a Dell. 

• Edwin_R
    Edwin_R Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same story here. Acer Aspire E 15 constantly idles and freezes. I have been unable too use and spend more hours trying to fix it. I barely used it at first and thought it was super-slow because it was updating. Extremely frustrating because I have an old cheap cellphone that operates better than this Acer Aspire E 15. Also have an older Acer with lower specs and works just fine with many additional programs. I'm not a computer genius, but common sense tells me there is something defective with the Acer Aspire E 15. Researching search engines shows too many customers of this product having exactly same issue. My warranty expired because I kept getting frustrated and thinking it was normal updates. There should be some type of recall or sending customers replacement parts or even a new computer. For example; if numerous customers reported the same issue with a vehicle, there could be a recall. It would make good business sense for Acer to see that there must be a defect with this Aspire E 15 and assist the consumers with replacement parts or laptop.
  • kanga
    kanga Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    I have a Aspire 5750 with random freezes and similar to others and it can freeze several times a day or every few days. I had a 500gb sata drive, replaced with 240gb SSD drive and it made no difference. Tried various Windows 8 and 10 versions with fresh installs and it made no difference.
    I replaced old ram with new and ran various anti-virus and malware programs, with no improvement. Also changing from Acer to Windows drivers still gave same problem.
    I truly believe it is a graphics motherboard glitch and my freezes have happened when the PC is not attended and the screen keyboard and mouse just freeze and a windows reboot is necessary. When not using the Aspire, the screen display must turn off to a black screen.
    The best way to do this is to go to Windows control panel and open "power options". Select "change plan settings" and set "turn off display" to 1 minute.
    In Windows, I set power settings to "high performance" (for setup, select "create a power plan"). Turn off hard disk-480 mins +, sleep and hibernate-never, intel graphics power plan-balanced, pci express, link state power management-off, display, turn off display-after 1 minute and enable adaptive brightness-off.
    Since applying these settings, I have not had a single freeze.
    I would like to add that my Acer always runs cool with no overheating problems and the bios is updated to latest. Also, Windows Updates and Windows Defender settings are set off.

• kanga
    kanga Member Posts: 2 New User
    It has been 2 months since I applied the suggested settings to prevent freezing. I have not had a single freeze episode and my Aspire 5750 operates around 8 hours/day 24/7.
    I have installed the most stable and reliable version of Windows I have ever used (all updates disabled), Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center build 9600 and had no glitches whatsoever.
  • FixedLaptop
    FixedLaptop Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had same problem,Acer Aspire freezes randomly. Go to power options, select change plan settings, select change advanced power settings, select processor power management and  maximum power state select upto 90% . Apply. Done. Freeze will never happen again :)
  • trmatek
    trmatek Member Posts: 2 New User
    Yeah I installed the driver for the video from the site and now I don't have that issue anymore.
  • DaveKane
    DaveKane Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Same thing on my Acer Desktop Aspire T. It freezes whenever it wants. I was lucky enough to buy the extra 4 year warranty through Amazon. When I contacted them that my computer was freezing up, they told me they could not help me. Gave me a number to call. The person at that number said "the reason you were given this number was because you were out of warranty, I would have to pay to have it fixed." The funny thing was, it was less than four years, so how could I have been out of warranty. They got my warranty money, I got a computer I use for work that always freezes up. Big WIN for Acer, HUGE loss for ME. 
This discussion has been closed.