Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

BIOS Update fail: ROMID is not compatible: P01-A3 --> P01-A4L

I checked the proper BIOS for AM-3470G computer. There is a Linux BIOS update for it. It is the same BIOS for the AM-3470G and the AM-3470. I have one of each. In both cases. I am getting the incompatible ROMID. As neither of these boxes can successfull run current versions of Linux without a BIOS fix, I am sorta stuck. Can anyone help?

Small1.pngSmall2.png

FAQ & Answers

• IronFlyIronFly Posts: 18,157ACE Trailblazer

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • chipscapchipscap Posts: 3Member New User
    so which of the Linux bios updates can I use. I cannot run the latest windows 10  it is not supported and will never be supported. I want to learn Linux so I download and installed it.  I still have my windows 7 drive but all of the bios updates are dos only installs. no problem there except the linux bios will not install.  what is the scoop anybody??? thank you for your help! 
  • billseybillsey Posts: 6,117ACE Pathfinder
    Upgrade to the A4 first, then to the A4L. You're trying to jump from A3 to A4L and that's why it's throwing the error.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.