No scaling options on Atom z2760

Options
TROLLeyBOSS
TROLLeyBOSS Member Posts: 5 New User

First, some statements.

1) I have recenltly purchased new tablet device Acer W510 . 

2) I'm huge fan of old games and i'm buyng them on gog.com

3) I cant play old games in fullscreen mode because of no scaling options on Atom z2760 graphics!

4) Intel web site says that they have no dedicated drivers for Atom z2760 and that i should ask manufacturer of my device.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033838.htm )

5) You cant play games that have no support for native 1366x768 resolution, because they just shrink in center of the screen of my W510 and evrything really small,

Question

Is there any way Acer would update graphic driver for Acer w510 ?

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• MayWu
    MayWu Member Posts: 51

Tinkerer

Options
    • Unfortunately atomz2760's GPU seems not support scaling.
  • TROLLeyBOSS
    Options

Well i've manged to run Fallout 2 game (from gog.com) with fullsceen scale using ddraw.ini game provides.

So It possible. Also im really interested why there "save scale" (or something like that, i have non english version of win8) always on in IGFX options, and there is "save scale for games with low resolution" checkbox in win8 compatibility tab but those options wont do a thing...

I thinking about manualy turn this autoscale off\on with regedit, but i cannot find registry key for igfx scaling.

May be some one could help me with that?

Thanks in advance.

• ja91zero
    ja91zero Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I think that is completly stupid that a modern gpu compared with old gpus in older atom processors, can not scaling image. Acer have to provide us of a new driver for the gpu, which is based on imaginations technology power vr sgx 545.

:/

• MayWu

Tinkerer

Options

TROLLeyBOSS:

Well i've manged to run Fallout 2 game (from gog.com) with fullsceen scale using ddraw.ini game provides.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

=>Those games might do fake scaling that games just rerender 1366x768 resolution or use 3D scaling functional instead of scaling 2D lower resolution to fullscreen.

Such as bejeweled , games run with lower resolution ,even user choose fullscreen option of game to play ,2D scaling doesn't work at w510 but work at other intel processor's GPU ..

http://www.wildtangent.com/Games/bejeweled

Then bejeweled 3 ues 3D scaling instead of 2D scaling.

http://www.wildtangent.com/games/bejeweled3?dp=winstore

One way to check GPU's 2D scaling functional-

At desktop ->long press and choose graphics properties ->click 'display'->change resolution to 1024x768->GPU's scaling only support 'center image' without 'fullscreen' but work at other intel processor's GPU..

• TROLLeyBOSS
    Options

MayWu.

You wrote: 

"At desktop ->long press and choose graphics properties ->click 'display'->change resolution to 1024x768->GPU's scaling only support 'center image' without 'fullscreen' but work at other intel processor's GPU.."

Sorry im not quite get it, the  "but work at other intel processor's GPU.." part. Do you mean if i change resolution to 1024x768 on any other intel processor\graphics chip i can use scaling but not  on Atom z2760 ??

Is it even possible to integrate support of scaling to z2760 on software level ? I'm starting to think of refunding...

• MayWu

Tinkerer

Options

Hello TROLLeyBOSS,

My wrote: 

"At desktop ->long press and choose graphics properties ->click 'display'->change resolution to 1024x768->GPU's scaling only support 'center image' without 'fullscreen' but work at other intel processor's GPU.."

=>This is the steps for using Intel VGA Utility.

You wrote:

Sorry im not quite get it, the  "but work at other intel processor's GPU.." part. Do you mean if i change resolution to 1024x768 on any other intel processor\graphics chip i can use scaling but not  on Atom z2760 ??

=>Yes, you can use scaling on other intel processor except Atom z2760.

Is it even possible to integrate support of scaling to z2760 on software level ? I'm starting to think of refunding...

=>I don't think Intel or Acer suggest application to use SW instead of HW event GPU does not support scaling ,because it would make poor display performance.

Using SW level or not which depend on application's behavior  ,app could choose SW scaling once it couldn't get HW support.

• TROLLeyBOSS
    Options

To MayWO

You wrote:

=>Yes, you can use scaling on other intel processor except Atom z2760.

That is fantastic .... and what should i do with all my GOG games....

You wrote:

>I don't think Intel or Acer suggest application to use SW instead of HW event GPU does not support scaling ,because it would make poor display performance.

>Using SW level or not which depend on application's behavior ,app could choose SW scaling once it couldn't get HW support.

Is there any way I can force SW on any chosen app.. or it will demand some deep programming skills? Like recompile exe and such?

• MayWu

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options

Now first checking game update list for Win 8.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/26/gog-adds-windows-8-support-431-games-compatible/

And report problem to application for supporting on Atom z2760.

However application might not support it soon.

• TROLLeyBOSS
    Options

Well. im topic digger alright...

Your solution - is not.

GOG make statement that games from their list will support W8 not particular device running it.

So it was just my poor choise of device. Be warned any one who want to play old school games  with "Acer w510".  

This discussion has been closed.