Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-531-C17M) Tremendously slow!!

Read-ZA
Read-ZA Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

I have just bought an Acer Aspire ES 15 (ES1-531-C17M) with the below spec:

- Intel Celeron Processor N3050

- Intel HD Graphics

- 2 GB DDR3 L Memory

- 500 GB HDD

Running on Windows 10 with Office 365 and Kaspersky anti-Virus... THATS IT.

The machine is TREMENDOUSLY slow, always thinking, delayed and EXTREMELY slow! My older Acer Aspire machine (About 7 years old) Crashed so I got a new machine as it was hardware issues. This machine (threatening to crash) is still running alot faster than my new Acer.

No matter what I open up the machine takes far too long to open and stops responding during the openning of the app needed, I have resorted to 1 app at a time (Whether Excel, Outlook or anything else) with massive issues. I have downloaded google chrome which i cannot use as it doesnt open properly.

I don't see why adding hardware would be an option as the machine should be working on todays software, so what could be the issue? On returning the machine, the seller advised I need a faster Ram, although on investigation I apparently don't.

Please help!

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

You have the equivalent of a net book and expect a smoking fast gaming like performance? Best upgrade to get that moving is a SSD hard drive. Next 4 gig ram. Overall cheap is just that, you need to evaluate what you plan on doing with the laptop and purchase accordingly. Win10 really wants 4gig ram or more. As is the hard drive caches most your operations and being a base 5400 rpm drive with limited cache on it the SSD will buffer that way way faster making the system more responsive. So, upgrade that or exchange for more powerful laptop while you can. 

Bottom line- as is the system will always be pressed to do much. While new, just the downloading updates in background from Win10 alone will show as very poor performance, toss in background virus monitoring and other task and you can understand the problem.

• LaaberFinn
    LaaberFinn Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Why would you buy a brand new laptop just to upgrade to an SSD right away? What a waste of money. 

read my reponses in the following thread, to significantly boost the performance. 

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-F-and-M-Series-Laptops/Aspire-ES-15-Running-Slow-Brand-new/td-p/415231/highlight/false 

• LaaberFinn
    LaaberFinn Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

follow my steps first. 

2GB RAM is pretty low in this day and age, and are often sold to reduce the cost of the overall computer. For about 30 bucks on Amazon you can upgrade to 4GB, which has really been the notebook standard for the last several years.