Can't update bios G5-793

Options
alex2k17
alex2k17 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello everyone, 

Since i got the predator G5-793 i had some difficulties like : not knowing that the g5 has only illuminated keyboard not RGB, that the back cover is not illuminated at all,that the screen has extreme bleeding, that it doesen't support NVME for the newest SSD (this last one being deactivated from bios by manufacturer), all this "extras" only the bigger brother G9 did had them which is 500$ more expensive.

So now i tried to update BIOS from 1.04 to the latesc 1.09 which i dlded from the acer support site. The reason i want to update it is because the fans are always on and loud even when i am browsing the web, if there is an web based app that takes a little processor time there they go the fans and is quite disturbing.

So this is the error that a receive when trying to update BIOS.

bioserror.png

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you have any third party antivirus, disable it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • alex2k17
    Options

Kaspersky disabled completly, still not working. Thanks for input.

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    Options

is this a standard installation from Acer? Or is this a legacy install on MBR disc?

Otherwise, maybe really the Virus scanner or so?

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

The instructions to wipe you SSD and convert to GPT are in this link

If you installed vanilla Windows 10 with rufus, you must use the settings on the rufus homepage.  But honestly I think you should use your Acer USB OEM recovery drive to re-install Windows as UEFI/GPT.  If you forgot to create a USB factory default recovery drive, you can order it from Acer Store..

If you're having fan issues, then you should definitely use the Acer OEM Windows 10 instead of vanilla Windows 10.  Don't forget to load the BIOS defaults (F9) and then save/exit (F10).

If you use vanilla Windows 10, then this link has some tips and tricks on how to clean install Windows as UEFI/GPT.

• alex2k17
    Options

Thank you so much, i will try and this solution to see if is working.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Ok but make sure you create a USB factory default recovery drive if still possible.   Use Acer Care Center.  

It's not clear by your post that you altered the BIOS settings or installed vanilla Windows 10. 

I made assumptions that you mistakenly installed vanilla Windows 10 in legacy mode.  If you didn't install vanilla Windows 10 in legacy mode, then you should disregard my previous post.  

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    Options
    I'm personally a bit confused as I tried to help somebody and I didn't get no answer to my question. A bit unkind ... So you can create a Windows 10 installation disc as you should setup all on the scratch by using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. You boot it an you delete all paritiions under legacy. Then you reboot to Bios and you set to UEFI. Reboot an just install it. It will create the correct GPT by itself. For your skill, should be easy.