Swift 5 USB-C dock problems

Options
robertcopus
robertcopus Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi all,

I own an SF514-51-777U and recently bought a "Plugable UD-CA1" USB-C dock. The laptop will not charge from the USB-C cable and does not display any video via the dock's HDMI port which operates on Alt-mode (which should be plug and play with no drivers required). The only dock functions that work are the regular USB2 2.0/3.0 ports and audio in/out.

It seems I've wasted US$170 on a USB-C dock which at the moment can only do what my monitor already does with its multiple USB2.0/3.0 ports (and I still have just as many cables hanging out of my laptop as before: power, HDMI and USB-C vs power, HDMI and USB3.0)

I have tried without success to find any documentation regarding my laptop's USB-C capabilities or device compatibility. Can an Acer rep please tell me if my laptop is capable of being charged via USB-C and outputting HDMI/DisplayPort video via this same cable, as most USB-C equipped laptops seem to be.

If not, is it possible that future bios updates will add charging and video output capabilities? It seems a bit silly to have the latest port if all it can do is carry data and charge small devices, leaving out USB-C's most powerful - and useful - abilities.

Kind regards,

Robert

Answers

• Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Over in a similar thread about the Swift 3's usb-c charging issues i have discovered that (for the Swift 3) it requires a very specific 19.5V to start charging. However most USB-C Power Delivery capable chargers have fixed voltages (5,9,15,20v). it seems that usb-c power delivery is still in its infancy and imporperly marketed and integrated.

worth noting that other major manufacturers like Dell and HP have opted to use 20v which is pretty standard.

I'm sorry to hear you wasted your money on a dock already. That was my intention as well if the usb-c charger i had bought worked. fortunately i've managed to return the item to the store for a refund.