E1-572 Recovery Partition

Options
scb31
scb31 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Have been given an Aspire E1-572 to try & recover after owner tried to do it themselves ... with a Dell restore CD they got off the Internet!! Oddly enough, not only did the Windows 8.1 not work correctly afterwards but it would seem that it has somehow changed the hidden recovery partitions. Having managed to get Windows running successfully & installed the Acer eRecovery software, trying to run factory restore gives an error along the lines of the computer/partitions not being setup correctly. Currently there is a 400MB Recovery partition, 300MB EFI System partition and the rest as the main Acer (CSmiley Happy partition - should there not be a PQservice partition too & is there any way to create it? Currently, Alt-F10 at startup now just takes you to the standard Windows 8 recovery options. Have tried to order the RCD from the store but entering both serial or SNID number results in number not found error. Owner only has the application/driver CD backup, which I used to get a generic copy of Windows running, but not the main recovery CD! Any advice greatfully recieved.

Answers

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

At top of this forum you posted in is how too's on recovery reinstall. I do not know what tools you have to work with (i.e.:external USB to sata setup) so as to start from scratch. The dell cd would have destroyed the setup in favor of it's own format.  You would have to wipe all partitions on the drive. Then if system was running win 10 and all ready setup with Microsoft account just re download Win10 and the flash drive creation tool and install with that using the drivers from Acer. If win8 again entering the win code on Microsoft site for the ISO to create install media. Then again use the drivers from Acer. The Bios needs to match install- i.e.: uefi . Once complete you then can create a recovery media. Normally 4 partitions when installed correctly in Uefi. 

A lot depends on what prior person did with it before they handed to you. When in doubt start from scratch. You really do not need special recovery media. Just do it in right order- install windows, then chipset, networking, video, then rest. Reboot after each driver. Not rebooting can cause install errors on drivers. Once completed to your satisfaction run a manual restore point and name it something obvious like "base system date" and show owner how to just use that to restore mistakes. Quicker and easier than a full recovery for most issues, and how to update that restore point. Good luck.

• scb31
    scb31 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Many thanks for reply Trukntigger & apologies for any confusion but I've already done all that you suggest to get Windows up & running. I've been doing similar for a number of years now & over a number of versions of Windows, with & without driver CDs! I was more looking for how to recreate the standard recovery partitions so as to enable the eRecovery software to run again and/or to restore proper functionality to the Alt-F10 key so as to re-enable the factory restore option. This to make it easier & more straightforward for the owner should they wish to restore again sometime in the future & without returning to me ... now they know about the proper procedure!

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Could do it this way

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-create-dedicated-recovery-partition-of-windows-10/

Not quite factory Tory but same result without the bloatware.