R11 and the Android MS Word app

trhummer
trhummer Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2017 Archives

I recently bought the R11 Chromebook, and I am very happy with it. 

I do have one issue, or question: I bought it in part because it can run Android apps (which it does very nicely, for the most part) and therefore I assumed I could install the same Microsoft Word app I have on my Pixel phone. However, the Play Store insists this device is not compatible with the Word (Beta) app, which is the only one I can make appear.

I have also tried to do the download from the Microsoft page, as I am a subscriber to Office 365. That doesn't work either. 

What gives? The Word app works on some other Chromebooks. Why not this one? (And please don't direct me to Word Online; I use that if I have to but prefer the onboard app. I'm a professional writer, so I'm not a novice with these resources.)

Any help or constructive advice or accurate information will be appreciated. I have of course Googled this question, and received a plethora of contradictory information.

Thanks. 

Answers

• psellmer
    psellmer Member Posts: 1 New User

According to Chrome Unboxed at this time Office Apps for Android only work on Chromebooks with screens less than 10.1". I too own the R11 and wish it was available on our size screen but no go at this time.In the Unboxed Article, Microsoft says it is committed to making the app available to a wider range of Chromebooks so I'm sure there will be an anouncement of some type when that happens.

• trhummer
    trhummer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Still nothing.
  • Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon

The ball is in Microsoft's court to "fix" the Android app.

I know this isn't what you'd prefer, but for now, you have only one offline alternative as a writer:

Use Google Docs, and not in compatibility mode.  

Unless you need to do some exotic formatting, the Google Docs is a pretty good offline word processor (shortcut keys almost identical to Word) and the Download as Word works very well once you activate the fonts to match what you want to use in Word.