Just bought a Chromebook today.

xttwo2
xttwo2 Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
I just bought my Acer Chromebook today. It's been almost three years since I had a laptop to use; my last comp (Toshiba Tecra 8100) crashed when I tried to download; open and install this online digital catalog from a electronics wholesale website. For some strange reason the OP system crashed first (XP) when booting it displays the dreaded BSOD. Then after awhile the comp would even turn on when I pushed the power button.

Since then all I've been using is my smartphone which for better or worse got the job done but there's only so much you can do on mobile web pages (m). I watch my movies I listen to my songs but you eventually get this sense; you want a little elbow room.

Does ACER have a section to register my new comp? I just bought it so I don't have any problems. - knock on wood.

Second question; does anyone know what peripheral I can buy to recover stuff from my old comp hard drive? There's only one folder I care about on the XP op system before it went down.

Thanks.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

the help is just to find the correct IDE/USB adapter, they can't charge you.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

about product registration:

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/acerid-account

about recovering files from your old laptop, the only way is to take off its HDD and buy an USB HDD (IDE) dock to connect it to the chromebook.

I suggest you to ask to a computer shop about taking off the old HDD and find a compatible USB dock.

• xttwo2
    The most common search results I see on the internet is one called SATA 2.5 - 3 INCH. But I don't see any product info like:
    transfer data from any crashed internal laptop hard drive to your working laptop
  • IronFly

as i wrote, i strongly suggest you to go to a computer shop if any available.

if a computer shop is not an option, you need to unscrew a screw and take off your HDD.

https://archive.org/details/toshiba-service-manual-tecra-8100-series

then you need to find an HDD IDE to USB adapter to connect it to your chromebook

keep in mind that some files, probably are not compatible with the chromebook OS.

• xttwo2
    Thanks for the help. As far as the file/folder goes; I plan on keeping on my USB stick if I can't
    drag n' drop directly onto the desktop.

I already have the old laptop disassembled.

If I walk into a computer shop and ask for help; are the going to charge me like $300 or something? Because I only have literally just one file with all of what I need.
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓

the help is just to find the correct IDE/USB adapter, they can't charge you.