Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM RAM and SSD Upgrade

ssoleimani
ssoleimani Member Posts: 5 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives

I want to upgrade the RAM and HDD on this laptop and according to Crucial's website it says that DDR4-2400 SODIMM memories are compatible with this laptop but I can't find any information about this on Acer's website.  Is this true or is a mistake on Crucial's site?

Also Can any M.2 2280 SSD work on this laptop or it has to be a specific one?

Cheers....

Answers

• Hello,

I suggest you to check the brand and the part number of your current memory module of 4Gb with CPU-Z zipped version (no installation). You'll find these informations in SPD tab. This model is shipped with Hynix or Kingston memory - 2133 or 2400MHz but it works at 2133MHz.

Yes, you can install one SSD M.2 2280 SATA 3.0 and keep the HDD for your data.

France
  • Hi,

Yes, it will work but the actual recommended memory for your laptop: DDR4-2133MHz 

You need to get M.2 SATA SSD.

• ssoleimani
    ssoleimani Member Posts: 5 New User

how about M.2 NVMe SSD drives?

• Trukntigger
    Trukntigger Member Posts: 256 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

NVME not supported on the E series laptops.

• ed12
    ed12 Member Posts: 6 New User

After installing M.2 ssd, how do i move windows from the 1TB hd to the new ssd?

• Trukntigger

1. Backup data you wish to preserve

2. Create recovery media with current drive on to say a USB flash stick

3. Remove 1tb drive, install m2 drive

4. Install Win10 from the recovery media

5. Install 1tb back in

Basically how it will go. Read header at top of this forum about reinstalling windows.

• ed12

Thanks, the sdd that I ordered came with acronis software. Should I use it? I don't know what Im doing.

• ed12

ssd

• Trukntigger

Acronis is supposed to be good. I've used it myself a few times but by taking new drive and putting it on USB to sata interface. Clone system drive to new drive on USB sata interface then physically swap drives, use USB thing to reset original drive to new. Never tried it with both drives internally installed. (Note interface for this was just one of those cheap external USB hard drives, the pocket sized ones, took apart for both using the drive internally and the interface USB/sata for troubleshooting hard drives)

As for m2 I would install and make sure system shows it in bios, won't see in windows till partitioned which that acronis software does for you so...

install m2, confirm in Bios, install acronis to current drive, run it and follow instructions. Only rule in clonning is new drive must be equal or greater than amount of data on source drive. Once cloned power down, remove old drive, power up and see if clone worked right.

• ed12

Thanks Trukntigger, I opened the acronis software last night after installing the m.2 ssd, created and saved back up and recovery files to a usb 3.0 flash drive. Partitioned the ssd. used the clone function to clone the hdd to the ssd which prompted it to restart. upon booting up the ssd is still empty. Tonight I will try again, with the steps you mentioned. Ive never used bios before. Should I be nervous? acronis didnt really provide instructions. 

• Koujuke
    Koujuke Member Posts: 2 New User

Re: Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM RAM and SSD Upgrade

I watched a video clip from Tech Deals Dated Dec 1, 2016. In the clip the technician said that his laptop did not have a stand off or screw for the installation of an M.2 SSD. He said he had gotten in touch with Acer and they said he had to send the laptop to them with his SSD so that an Acer technician could install the SSD. Has that policy been changed so that the screw and stand off are now included in the laptops when they are shipped? I have not purchased my Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM as yet. I would like to buy one but I also would want to install an M.2 SSD after purchasing it.

• ed12

I ordered mine from amazon almost 2 months ago, and it came with both the screw and standoff. I can't speak of their policy, but mine came ready for m.2 ssd.

• Koujuke
    Koujuke Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you. I've decided to go with the E5-575G-53VG model. I have a hard drive that I will take from an older laptop. 

• username100500
    username100500 Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited May 2018

NVME not supported on the E series laptops.

fake info, I've purchased samsung evo 960, and it works in pci mode and nvme protocol, I've tested speed, it is close to the declared speeds, ~1.4 GB write, ~3 GB read. I use arch linux with actual core/firmware versions.