Acer Predator G9-591 problem with high temperatures CPU and GPU

Answers

• Komodo_Rogue
    Komodo_Rogue Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm seeing similar CPU temperatures, even broke 100C after < an hour of gaming.

These temperatures were achieved after about half an hour or playing crysis 3 while plugged into an electrical outlet.  Portal 2 yieded similar results, but not as high CPU temperatures.

I have the "frost core" installed, "cool boost" is enabled, the predator sense profile is "normal," and the only change I made to the cpu was with the intel tuning utility to undervolt the chip by .100V.

temp_aftercrysis.PNG

From what I have read so far, it sounds like this may be an issue with the thermal paste, and will need to be redone.

In the meantime, are there any adjustments I can make to the intel tuning utility to cap performance and hopefully keep temperatures below 90C or so?

• blecklight
    blecklight Member Posts: 6 New User

With 100v - all core"s work at - 1000 ~ 1700 MHz 

Smiley Sad 

• blecklight

Фото 20.02.17, 11 37 52.jpgФото 20.02.17, 11 37 55.jpgafter replacing the thermal pasteafter replacing the thermal paste

Temperature After replacing the thermal paste! And use 1.2v at core.

Its normal?????

Why "Acer Mustang" is  89-95?

Nvidia  87-89 ?

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

What thermal paste have you used? Have you made sure that you have applied just a little bit of thermal paste, if have applied a bit too much, it won't have a good effect. Same if the amount you have applied is too small.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

try this paste:

Cooler Master high performance Thermal compound kit , you need to apply just 1-2 drops and then spread it over the cpu with the plastic card, check it's full covered by a thin layer and place the heatsinks.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • blecklight

IronFly wrote:

try this paste:

Cooler Master high performance Thermal compound kit , you need to apply just 1-2 drops and then spread it over the cpu with the plastic card, check it's full covered by a thin layer and place the heatsinks.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Performance-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0009PTBZ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487599592&sr=8-1&keywords=Cooler+Master+Thermal+Paste

???????

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    yes, correct.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • blecklight
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

No difference at all. Try to apply the paste again, but with the peanut method. Just apply a little bit paste in the middle of the core. The paste should not be too much, otherwise it acts as an insulator. If you think the amount you have applied is too little, don't worry the paste expands afterwards. Some pastes require some hours of working time in order to work.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

From

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/thermal-grizzly-anyone.780620/

Most of the thermal paste reviews are meaningless for laptops because the bottleneck is between the silicon die and the heatspreader, where intel used, also, a crappy thermal paste.

So, the paste between the heatspreader and the cpu cooler only produces a few degrees difference.

In laptops the heatsink seats directly on the silicon die, so, what paste we use matters.

air_results_final

• jake_angelson
    jake_angelson Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I found a solution just a moment ago, for all who suffer high temp on predator 15/17 any model you can undervolt the CPU voltage with minimal to no RISK on the CPU. (Undervolt only no Thermal Repasting.)

Step 1: Download and install Intel XTU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/24075/Intel-Extreme-Tuning-Utility-Intel-XTU-

Step 2: Open It and go to Advance Tuning / Core

Step 3: Adjust ONLY the Core Voltage Offset (Note: that 0.000V is the default, Offset it according to your CPU model)Acer.PNGOffset Steps:

1) Check your CPU model (Note: Offset Value is not the same on every CPU. mine is i7-6700HQ) (See Picture below c/o Dave Lee Youtube)offset value.PNG

2) Try first on that value (Note: All Value is on NEGATIVE (-) we are undervolting then click apply.

3) you need to test the stability by going to Stress Test Tab, Check CPU Stress Test, input Time (10mins is ideal) if your offset is passed try to add -0.10V until it crash or becoming unstable. if that happen go back to the offset value that is passed.

Stress test.PNG4) after you found the sweet spot for the offset value of your CPU run a full Stress Test to check the stability, you can try Prime95 stress test application for about 2 to 3 hours.

Done! you will notice that your CPU temp goes down,

Sample picture:

Before Undervolting. i7-6700HQ (CPU Stress Test Max Temp. 96 Degree Celsius and with thermal throttling.) VERY BAD TEMP.

On offset.PNG

After Undervolting, i7-670HQ (I manage to offset my CPU to -0.210V my Sweet Spot, CPU Stress Test Max Temp. 74 Degree Celsius No Thermal Throttling.) Instant 22 Degree drop Smiley Very Happy undervolt.PNG

I hope this one help. you can Watch the tutorial on Youtube  https://youtu.be/QBNP5I2y668

• AndyMD
    AndyMD Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Dear all, I used to have problems just like you guys with my G9 7700Hq GTX 1070, and then I had a sound problem so I restored my laptop and discovered accidentaly an application called Quick Access (I think), and the first buttom in this application allows you to start fans before t° raises to avoid high t° jumps. On my laptop this option was set to OFF. I also used application like RealTemp, CPU-Z, Everest (old name), .... but my surprise arrived with Speedfan, I noticed after changing the Quick Access buttom mentionned above that the global t°was still above 80°C in play mode, but the Core t° was at 50°C to 65°C.

Today after 1 gaming week (60h playing Smiley Very Happy )  I noticed that my Cores never reaches 80°C but that the global system t° was frequently above 90°C 

• Jesper12
    Jesper12 Member Posts: 23 New User

Coolboost is able to have your fans run at a max of 5500 rpm, I don't know how to stop it from locking at 4600 tho.

• FuchsHH
    FuchsHH Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

How do do you know that Coolboost is able to have the fans run at a max of 5500 rpm?

For me Coolboost makes a difference of 300 rpm.

Fan max with Coolboost off: 4300rpm

Fan max with Coolboost on: 4600rpm

• yan870126
    yan870126 Member Posts: 21 Troubleshooter

yeah i'm using g9-593 i7-7700HQ with GTX 1060, mine also when stress test can reach up to 98C...scary! 

will the under voltage make the CPU become handicaped? or the peformance will still the same?

• Boss_UAE
    Boss_UAE Member Posts: 2 New User
    Guys...!
    I am new here....I have found one solution....just try one time and then lets see how it effects....for me it worked.

just go to power setting...adv option....go to 

Maximum Processor State and reduce the power from 100% to 75% or 80%.

you will see then magic.....temp never go above 70 while playing games in my G9-593

hope you will like....!
  • Boss_UAE
    Boss_UAE Member Posts: 2 New User
    Guys, need your help....! any new update....! how to turn off the lid light in acer predator 15-g9-593 (light on the top of lid- two red strip)

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    There are some good temperature tweaking videos on this channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw

I dont recommend setting maximum processor state to such a low percentage as it disables turbo boost... and why purchase a strong processor if your going to cap its speed?

Need more POWAH!
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Boss_UAE said:
    Guys, need your help....! any new update....! how to turn off the lid light in acer predator 15-g9-593 (light on the top of lid- two red strip)

I do not believe there is an option to disable these lights via software. 

I believe the only way would be to open up the screens bezel and disable the lighting manually (which I dont think is worth it.)
    - Hotel Hero