Predator 17 G9-793 Periodic Freezing in-game

Scosci
Scosci Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Hey guys, I'm writing because there is one issue I am having with my Predator 17 laptop which I purchased VERY recently (Talking maybe 2 weeks ago now). Whenever I get into games, everything will run smoothly for anywhere from 10-30 minutes, but then my game will inexplicably freeze/lag for a solid 3-6 seconds before resuming again. I know this may seem like a very minor inconvenience, but it's really immersion breaking and annoying to deal with in-game. Upon googling the problem, I've found solutions for turning the disk-drive spin down in the power options to "Off," (done), upgrade my computer drivers (done), and update my BIOS to the latest version (also done). I am still experiencing this periodic freezing issue. Is there something I may have missed? Are there any other potential solutions that can be achieved without me needing to send my computer in to get checked or something?

Thanks in advance.

[inappropriate content removed]

Answers

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Meybe it overheats and the cpu throttles down? You cold keep and eye on the cpu/gpu temps.

• Scosci

Well, I keep an eye on the levels through PredatorSense, and the highest the CPU ever gets is about 63-65 Celcius when running something intensive like ESO on all Ultra graphics settings. I have my fans (Plus the optional fan that switches out the CD drive) running constantly. From my understanding, CPU temp levels don't start to get dangerous until high 80s / 90s Celcius, so I don't think that would be it.

• Scosci

So, I have STILL as of yet to get a decisive solution to this issue. Anybody? Acer? Help?

• andythemarmos
    andythemarmos Member Posts: 1 New User
    same problem here . any solution??
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    edited February 2018
    While I am not strictly speaking to a single person, please always take a look at the sticky threads before posting.

You can find a guide for FPS here: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/535036/faq-cpu-gpu-temps-fps-settings-other-info/p1

Section 4 FPS Drops should help resolve this problem. Generally, the periodic drops are caused by Windows Game mode, Game DVR, and Game bar. Try those options out first and if that doesn't solve it, go down the list.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • TNT2Gamer
    TNT2Gamer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I think I may have done a few things over the last couple of nights that may have helped.  I made sure I had the latest BIOS, graphics driver, sound driver, WiFi driver, Ethernet driver, and Bluetooth driver.  I also went into Intel Rapid Storage Technology and disabled Link Power Management and Write-Cache Buffer Flushing.  I even increased the size of my virtual memory to 24 GB, which is 1.5X my physical RAM.  So far I have not had any more hiccups.  **keeping fingers crossed**
  • Zenpth
    Zenpth Member Posts: 1 New User
    I seem to have the exact same problem and am yet to find any way to fix it 
  • popnfrresh
    popnfrresh Member Posts: 8 New User
    Not trying to revive a dead thread, but I have the SAME exact issue. Everything freezes randomly every 5-15 minutes for about 5 seconds while cpu spikes to 100%. Mouse moves, audio plays, but graphics freeze on the screen. Happens on every game, no matter graphics settings. 

Reinstalled windows fresh to asus image. Only installed one game. 
    Sent back to acer. They reinstalled os. Only installed one game.
  • TNT2Gamer
    TNT2Gamer Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

popnfrresh, I did everything that I mentioned back in my May 2018 post, and my machine is still working fine.  My wife uses our Predator all day/every day.  At the time, I downloaded my drivers from the original companies, since the drivers on the Acer site were old.  It has been 19 months since I have had any problems with our Predator.   :)