SW5-012 will not turn on unless I do a reset

yaudette
yaudette Member Posts: 34 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

when I bought the unit, it was starting without any issue. A couple of months ago, it did not turn on. Someone told me to do a reset (power + volume down) and I was back in business. But now, since a couple of weeks, I am forced to do resets frequently. My question is what is the cause of this problem? I don't mind doing resets but I would prefer to have the problem fixed so that I can power up my unit normally without "resetting" it on a regular basis.

Best Answer

• yaudette
    Answer ✓

It has been almost a week now that the fast start feature was turned off and since then, I have not experienced any problem when powering up the laptop. I think that I can reasonably assumed that the problem is fixed.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

can you please post your BIOS version?

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS DATE/Version string

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • yaudette

Hi IronFly,

thanks for your reply.

The BIOS version is 1.20 2016-03-01. The computer is running under Windows 10, family version.

Should you need anything else, please let me know.

Regards

• IronFly

ok, you have the latest available BIOS.

how do you turn off your Switch?

would you mind to try this?

windows logo key + r

type

shutdown /s /t 0

system will shutdown immediatly then after a while try to turn it on.

• yaudette

To turn off the PC, we go to the menu and select shutdown.

The settings about how the system should react when requesting shutdown either by the menu option or by the power on button are to shutdown the unit.

I've tried your shutdown command and after a while, I have restarted the unit without a problem.

As stated in my initial posting, the problem when powering up the unit is not constant. Therefore, I cannot assume that executing the proposed command has fixed the issue if this was your expectations.

This morning, I went back to the settings about the power on button and saw that the fast start feature was activated. I remember having a problem with a HP laptop when powering it up. The solution had turned out to deactivate this feature. So, I have decided to deactivate the feature on the Switch. After that, I made several attempts shutting down and restarting the unit without any issue. I can't say that the problem is fixed because it will take time to see how the unit behave before reaching this conclusion.

In the meantime, I remain open to any other potential solution you might have to propose.

• IronFly

fast startup was my next suggestion after the correct boot using the shutdown command.

keep it monitored and let me know.

• yaudette

sure

• yaudette
    Answer ✓

It has been almost a week now that the fast start feature was turned off and since then, I have not experienced any problem when powering up the laptop. I think that I can reasonably assumed that the problem is fixed.

• IronFly
    Good to hear it