Acer Predator 15 G9-593 Drains battery while plugged in when gaming

Options
xen0s
xen0s Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hellp everyone

Recently I got Predator 15 g9-593 with I7 7700 and GTX 1070. It is glorious machine, however I just noticed that when I play games (CS: GO for example) the battery gets discharged, even tho the laptop is plugged in. Now I did read the thread about it being "normal", however that was for the first gen model 591/791 which has a less powerfull charger (180w if I remember correctly). The 593 has a 230w charger and the GTX 1070 does not draw more power than 980m. I am having a hard time accepting this as normal thing. Does anyone with the 593/793 experience the same thing?

Answers

• xen0s
    Options

Come one guys, dont any of you have this model (or one with similar specs) to give feedback? Im really in a need of help here, I dont have much time to return it for exchange if I have to.

• Daedronus
    Daedronus Member Posts: 78 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

never happened on my g5-793, true, it only has a 1060 but the power brick is also only 180w.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options

Firstly, you haven't provided enough information. Forexample whether your screen is 4K or Full HD(4K draws more current). Secondly it is not only the GPU that is upgraded but the CPU too. Thirdly, you have an RGB keyboard, not the previus red an blue(which probably draws a little bit more current, not sure though). Forth, you can use the intel utility tool(don't remember the name correctly) to undervolt your processor. Some people say it doesn't affect performance at all, and they have tried it. 5th but not last, I own an GX-791 with gtx980 and my charger is 330W. When I play more demanding games with overclock, my battery gets drained as well(not quickly it takes about 3-4 hours until it reaches 30% from 100%). Acer predator g9-x91 users don't have this issue, its the g9-x92(i think even some of g9-x91 users have it but rarely), who have it, because the GTX980m has 8GB VRAM. You say 1070 draws same current as 980m, but the fact that the processor is different and if your screen is 4K, explains why your battery gets drained even on charger, which is NORMAL.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• xen0s
    Options

Thank you very much for the replies. I will describe my case in more detail:

- This happens both in Extreme and Normal setting via Predator Sense

- The display is full hd, I do have connected an external display as well which is also full hd (extended desktop). Ofc that display has its own power supply.

- It happens when I play CS GO. The graphics settings are completely maxed out. The GPU and CPU stay at max frequencies and there is no throtling. Have not tried other games.

- External speakers are being used (separate power supply)

- The fans are set to 100%

- Rgb keyboard is set to red only, and I doubt it should draw so much power so that the PSU cannot provide it.

- The I7 7700hq has the same power rating as the previously used I7 6700hq as far as I know.

Also I would like to note that I have friends with other gaming laptops that should have similar power draw and they do not exibit such issues.

• vorob
    vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi, i've got previous gen processor and didn't had discharge problem on AC, but i'll keep an eye today on this. 

• Grandma_Pete
    Grandma_Pete Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same laptop with the 980M and I have the same issue, especially with games like PUBG
  • Cydonianknightz
    Cydonianknightz Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have a Predator G9-793 and have noticed this as well, however as was mentioned in a previous comment the drain on the battery is very slow.  Playing Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia on Ultra settings for about 2.5 hours drained the battery about 10-12%.  No idea if this is "as designed" or not, but given the performance of the machine and the quick charge once I stop gaming I'm not overly worried about it, though I can understand wanting confirmation it's happening as to rule out some with the charger/cables themselves.
    Specs in case they are helpful:
    17.3 HD Monitor 
    Core I7-7700HQ @ 2.8G (will scale to 3.8 on demand)
    16GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 1070
    2x 128GB SSDs in RAID 0 
    1TB HDD

• PaliHustlaOD
    PaliHustlaOD Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    I have a Predator G9-793 and have noticed this as well, however as was mentioned in a previous comment the drain on the battery is very slow.  Playing Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia on Ultra settings for about 2.5 hours drained the battery about 10-12%.  No idea if this is "as designed" or not, but given the performance of the machine and the quick charge once I stop gaming I'm not overly worried about it, though I can understand wanting confirmation it's happening as to rule out some with the charger/cables themselves.
    Specs in case they are helpful:
    17.3 HD Monitor 
    Core I7-7700HQ @ 2.8G (will scale to 3.8 on demand)
    16GB RAM
    GeForce GTX 1070
    2x 128GB SSDs in RAID 0 
    1TB HDD

I have the same model and specs as you + additional upgrades I did. Same thing happens with me. I don't mind it though. When you play with the charger unplugged and then plug the charger in as you're playing, you'll immediately see the speed boost in the game.