Acer V5-591G-75GP - Screen does not work in low (15-16°C) temperatures

trademarc
trademarc Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey everyone,

This started around 2 1/2 months ago: When I turn on the laptop for the first time on a day, usually in the morning, the laptop boots but does not show anything on the screen. I can connect the laptop to a TV via HDMI and can use it fine. I went into the device manager to see only one screen listed - obviously this is the TV it is connected to. So the laptop does not recognise its own screen

I'm almost 100% certain it has to do with cold weather. My house is relatively cold at night now during the winter months (probably around 15°C) and I can feel that the laptop is cold. I just used a hot-water bottle to heat it up for the first time - bingo. Instant results, i.e. the screen works. Once on, the screen does not "disconnect" or anything similar, but works just fine. Before, after multiple restarts (usually anywhere between 3 and 20 restarts) the internal screen would finally work. It never disconnects while I use the computer. I can shut down the computer during the day and restart it at some time later and as long as there is not too much time in between the restarts the screen will work immediately, I suppose because it is warmer during the day.

My laptop seems to be overly sensitive to cold weather. I can understand that temperatures below maybe 5-6°C are probelmatic, but 15°C should be totally fine. My housemates' laptops are perfectly fine at the same temperatures.

Other things I've tried: updates BIOS, device and chipset drivers, unscrewed the back to remove the battery and drain excess current by holding down the power button for 30 secs.

I do not want to send the laptop for repair, because I need it on a daily basis. Before I have to do that, I'd rather wait until it starts getting warmer. If there are any other suggestions, I'd be very glad.

Thanks

Marc

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

your model must work from 5°c to 65°c so it's an hardware issue, you need to contact Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • trademarc
    trademarc Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello IronFly

thank you for your comment. As I've mentioned I cannot send my laptop for repair, because I need it on a daily basis (nor do I have the money to rent a replacement laptop for the time mine would be in repair).

Is there any way I can get it repaired without having to send it in?

Regards

Marc

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

no, Acer will never send you a part under warranty, they do only repair at official service center under warranty.

they will send you parts only if you pay it.

I'm not an Acer employee.