Should I Leave My Laptop Plugged In All The Time?

Options
Xigenon
Xigenon Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm new to the community and just purchased recently a G9-793-78CM. This is my first gaming laptop so I'm kind of curious yet.

Is it alright to keep my laptop plugged in to the charger the entire time I'm in the office, about 10-12 hours per day?  

The laptop has an internal battery and I'm concerned that keeping it plugged in that long could overcharge and damage the battery sooner than expected.

I think is not good to just wait until it gets fully charged to plug out the charger and wait til battery gets low to repeat the cycle every 3 or 4 hours.

Thank you guys!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options

You can keep the laptop charging for a whole day if you want. Most of the time I use my laptop while charging. I have it for 6months and Acer Care Center still shows 'battery health Good'. I don't think keeping it on charger for half a day will effect the battery life in short or long term(maybe just a tiny bit but it will be in a long term after an year or two you might notice a difference), because the laptop is meant to be used with a charger. If the battery and the component that protects a battery from over charging are constructed well, you don't have to worry about over charging and bursting the battery, unlike samsung galaxy note 7 Smiley Happy. And you are right, it is even worse to wait for it to charge fully and then wait until it discharges and re-charge it again.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!