Anyone getting rare blackouts in games with G-Sync ON?

vorob
vorob Member Posts: 149 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

So, sometimes, extremely rare, while i'm playing i'm getting these blackouts. Screen will just go black and then will turn on again. Happens faster then a second. I was playing Resident Evil 7 today and it happened once. Earlyer i was playing Ghost Recon Closed Beta and and happened when i was using my drone. 

So its totally random and rare, but still i worry.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

What version of Nvidia driver are you using. If you are using the latest one its normal. For some reason the later versions after 363.06 don't work well on laptops. So i suggest to try with 363.06 version.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98

sorry I meant version 373.06

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• vorob

Do you assume this, or you have g-sync laptop and have same random blackouts? 

• ven98

I have a g-sync laptop and I am assuming, the problem is from the drive. Why? Because with the newest drivers when I play games in 4k resolution, the screen starts flashing slightly and the games don't run with more than 29.97fps, but lets say when I switch to full hd everything is normal. Also with the newest drivers, Predator sense doesn't display the frequency of the GPU. And this happened with G-sync on. Never tried to run games without G-sync.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98

And by the way, you can always try the driver I suggested. It doesn't hurt from trying. Installing doesn't take more than 5minutes. Also have you tried downloading the latest Nvidia driver first(I assumed you did). It is optimised for Resident Evil 7.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• vorob

Yep, im on the latest driver - 378.49. And i will try your suggestion. But still you didn't say, do you have these blackouts? Or more likely blinks of black?)

• vorob

Tried older driver. No luck.

But i've got better example of my bug, FurMark will always show these blinks:

• vorob

Some more info, installed Quake II and binded 2 keys, one will force 5fps lock and another 90fps lock. If i switch slowly between, all is okay, but if i do this fast, screen will blink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOJGOxuCfWk

• ven98

Which model is it? I have never experienced such thing with g-sync on or off. Go to nvidia control panel and make sure v-sync is off while g-sync is on, if that is not the case, then make the settings like these you Screenshot_1.pngsee in the screenshots below.Screenshot_2.png

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• vorob

Do you have this laptop? 593? Can you do a thing which i asked you in pm:

I found a way to force this situation and would like to ask you to test your rig, if you have the same.

1. install furmark: http://www.geeks3d.com/20160826/furmark-1-18-0-gpu-burner-opengl-benchmark/
    2. enable g-sync in nvidia control panel
    3. enable DSR, which will allow you to launch 4k bench (https://pp.vk.me/c626117/v626117184/44851/yq3dSxpOr5s.jpg)

Now launch furmark and initiate Preset:2160 (4k/UHD)

With g-sync enabled i'm getting black flashes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmhxbsBjIOc
    With g-sync turnd off its clean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh1zPYBuT_0

Thx in advance.

• ven98

I run the benchmark as you showed and this screen flickering doesn't happen with and without g-sync. My laptop model gx-791.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• billyboy961
    billyboy961 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I have the same issue with anything fullscreen and graphically intense.
    my laptop is the predator g9-593
    i downloaded the gsync demo from nvidia and i get horrible screen tearing on the pendulum with gsync enabled.
    when i play games such as battlefield 3 my frames are no longer capped/sync'd and i experience this black flicker on the screen, its kinda like when you change your screen resolution and it briefly goes black

• vorob

As for uncapped battlefield you need to enable g-sync and v-sync both in nvidia contol panel and disable v-sync in game. Because with g-sync only it works only on anything lower then 60fps. If you are getting more, it acts like no sync at all. 

Also, are you using latest driver?

• billyboy961

Tinkerer

i have uninstalled the latest drivers and installed 373.06, same problem.
    ive downloaded furmark and i get the same problem as in the video

• vorob

Doublecheck for me, you enabled DSR and tested 4k preset?

• billyboy961

Tinkerer

DSR and 4k seems fine... here are my results http://www.ozone3d.net/gpudb/score.php?which=372884

On the nvidia gsync demo i get really bad tearing when i select the 60fps option, 50 and 40 fps are fine. maybe im misunderstanding gsync but im still getting that horrible black screen flash on mafia 3, battlefield 3/4, and sims 4. turning on vsync in those games causes the frames to be way below 60 and almost unplayable

• vorob

Can you record a video like mine? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmhxbsBjIOc

Cause i'm getting black blinks only on 4k since only there fps is arond 20. 

• ven98

You should have said earlier that it runs below 30fps. G-sync is not good below 30FPS, and what happens is completely normal, some G-sync have this problem. But when you run the game/benchmark above 30fps you should not have this. Have you tried running the benchmark on lower setting without MSAA. If the flickering doesn't happen then your laptop doesn't have a fault. Just make sure when you run with G-sync to have frames above or 30 per second.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• billyboy961

Tinkerer

does your model have better hardware than mine? mine has a 6300hq cpu and a 1060gtx

everything was fine around a week ago, its only recently starting flickering and not working properly

• ven98

We are not talking about how powerful the hardware is here. When your games run at less than 30fps the screen will start flickering. Just try to keep your fps above 30 and you won't have your screen flickering. As I said G-sync doesn't work with less than 30fps

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system