EGPU Discussion

Options
eBaCmYuJ
eBaCmYuJ Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Alright after a few days of headaches, phone calls, text messages, instant messenger, & hours of googling/youtubing. I have finally gotten a EGPU to work. Surprisingly enough once you figure it out, it's really not hard at all just a little time consuming. I hope this thread will be a gateway for people to jump forward and start EGPU set ups. Also I would like to also have this as a help section for anyone who has attempted and failed or is wanting to try but maybe to afraid, due to initial costs.

So first round of benchmarks went well. Here is bench marks from heaven and valley. PLease note: Laptop is G9-792 with 970m 6GB. EGPU is the razer core. GPU is msi gaming GTX 1060 3GB NONE X version(I stole my sons card so I could do some testing before I purchased another card.) All testing was done at stock settings on laptop side and graphics card side. Meaning that whatever setting the manufacturer shipped was how it was tested. Only thing that was changed was I put the acer predator on max fan speeds. Testing was also done on the internal laptop monitor. Have not used a external monitor yet and probably will not till I know the at core is 100% for sure stable as a daily home driver.

Unigine Heaven 4.0-settings ,directx11 on highest settings 1080P resolution.

Acer predator 17 970m- FPS:34.2, Score:863, Min FPS:7.6, Max FPS:78.9

Acer predator 17 EGPU-FPS:48.8, Score:1218, Min FPS:20.4, MAX FPS:90.3

Unigine Valley 4.0-settings ,directx11 on highest settings 1080P resolution.

Acer predator 17 970m-FPS:37.1, Score:1551, Min FPS:15.1, Max FPS:71.7

Acer predator 17 EGPU-FPS:51.9, Scores:2172, Min FPS:24.6, Max FPS:101.9

As of right now when writing this EGPU is stable. WIll begin another round of benchmarks after the weekend and though the whole week. If their is a specific benchmark with a specific card let me know. I will do my best to get my hands on that card.

Answers

• Ayoubbr
    Ayoubbr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello 

I have the Acer predator g9-791 and I was searching for almost 5 months if there is any egpu compatible with my laptop. I read that the thunderbolt 3 of this machine is not compatible with egpu but now I'm reading your post .... I'm like so happy I could finally buy an egpu. I'm wondering if the ho omen accelerator or the mantix venus Can do the work. 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Was this done through Thunderbolt or NVME M.2?
    - Hotel Hero