Veriton L460 circa 2009, Missing CD/DVD driver after wipe - no downloads on the Acer site!

JoeAverage
JoeAverage Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just wiped an Acer Veriton L460 with Killdisk.exe.  All the partitions were removed and wiped, but now it says I am missing the drivers for the CD/DVD drive.  Weird because it is able to recognize the Windows 7 64 bit installation DVD and begin the setup!

Even weirder, while you can download all kinds of Vista stuff for this computer from the Acer website, there is nothing but user manuals and a BIOS file for the Windows7 option!

Anyone got some ideas on where the Windows7 drivers are hiding?  Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

All drivers available are posted at https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers.

Some drivers such as the optical drive are imbedded in the OEM operating system itself and not available separately. We would recommend restoring the system to factory configurations using the recovery media created via the eRecovery utility. If you did not create the back up, you can check on the Acer store site to see if it is still available: https://store.acer.com/en-us/extended/recovery/. 

• JoeAverage
    JoeAverage Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks Acer-Mary, but if I had the recovery media I wouldn't be posting here.

The link you posted did not work until I cut off the period at the end, but when entering my SNID in the search box I get this result: "Recovery media is no longer available for the serial number you entered".

So apparently Acer supports Vista installations for this computer but not Windows 7?

That makes so much sense that I am inspired to consider purchasing a new Acer product...NOT.

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

Sorry to hear this- if the recovery media is not available it would be due to the age of the product.  All the posted drivers are what are provided by Acer for this legacy model. This model shipped with Vista or XP which were the supported operating systems. Some drivers are native to the OEM operating system and not available for download. Any Windows 7 drivers or updates were provided as a courtesy for those who wished to upgrade from XP or Vista.