R7 372t RAM upgrades

Options
rjw64
rjw64 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

New user, and I apologize if this has been posted (I didn't see anything in the search results). I am sure you cannot upgrade the amount of ram for this laptop, correct? 8gb is a little too slow for me lol, and wouldn't mind 16gb (I game and do some 3d modeling and ram gets too low at times). Also is there any upgrades available for this (I only saw the SSD)? Is the ram, cpu soldered to the board? Thanks for helping.

Answers

• rjw64
    Options

Just got off of chat with acer rep and they said it can hold 16gb. Now my question is: does anyone have pics (I didn't see ram slots when I took off the cover), and does it have the 4gb in pc with a 2gb stick? Do I need a 1 stick of 12gb or 1 stick of 16 or 2 8gb? Thanks.

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi,

You can find that information with programs like CPU-z or HWINFo64. You can view the amount of RAM installed in Slot1 in SPD tab, if it's 8GB, most probably soldered and one slot available for upgrade, in that case get another matching 8GB stick. You may have to do a complete disassembly to access the memory slot but I am not sure, there'e picture of MB in this link, it might be helpful:http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-R13-R7-372T-Convertible-Review.158791.0.html

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php 

• rjw64
    Options
    Will have to take it apart and see what the ram specs are, thanks for the info. That link says it is dual channel so that leads me to believe it has 2 slots or supports 2 sticks. I do use this in conjunction with the razer core.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

My information says the memory is a 178 pin FBGA (Fine Ball Gate Array)

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi rjw64,

Could you please get the actual memory info using CPU-z to make sure you buy the correct module, as padgett indicated your model's memory modules may be different as I couldn't find any compatible upgrades from either Crucial,mrmemory or Kingston.

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,051 Trailblazer
    Options

Hi rjw64,

The Aspire R7-372T series is shipped with 4 or 8Gb LPDDR3L - 1600MHz (Padgett's info: 178 pin FBGA) onboard and there is no memory slot available. You'll only find 4 memory chips on the motherboard.

France
  • rjw64
    Options
    On the crucial site when it scanned my system, it showed 2 slots of 4 gb ram. Does this not matter, and crucial is mistaken/unable to differentiate between board chips and actual sticks of ram? I'm about to pull it apart and see.
  • laurent_14
    Options

rjw64,

It's weird. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • rjw64
    Options
    After taking it apart, it is just 4 chips soldered on the board.
  • rjw64
    Options
    NXG8SAA004 is the first 10 of the s/n
  • laurent_14
    Options

Thanks, yes 4 chips of 2Gb. Sometimes, I wish I were wrong. Sorry but I can understand.

PS: I'm not an Acer employee but only an user like you.

France
  • rjw64
    Options

mobo top.jpg

this shows the 4 chips underneath of the mobo. I love this laptop, only 2 areas for improvement for a gamer like me:

1. make a stronger cpu (2.5-3.0ghz cpu)

2. allow for upgradeable ram.

top of mobo if interested

mobo top.jpg

• brummyfan2
    Options

Hi,

Have you looked under the black protective cover in the second picture of the MB for a RAM slot?

• rjw64
    Options
    Yeah, nothing under there.