571 - trying to boot to a uSB

ChrisPacer
ChrisPacer Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

After not being to able to select a device to boot from (no an OS problem) I discovered that hitting 'restarting' while holding down shift did just that. 

So, I did just thant and I get recovery options etc...one of the options is to boot from a device.  Choosing that gives options for network, HD boot etc...one of those options is USB FDD.  I assume that is the correct option for the USB flash drive but it boots to windows when selected.  None of the other options seem to be for the flash drive.

How do I boot to the USB flash drive?!

EDIT: maybe the ISO didn't make it to the flash drive.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if your laptops has windows 8 or 10, the USB flash must be UEFI compatible.

download Rufus and set as on the main page screen, then let it burn the iso file to the flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ChrisPacer

I am using rufus and I have it set to MBR partition scheme for bios or UEFI-SCM.

• ChrisPacer

w10

ISO d/l'd from windows, 64 bit as the PC is 64 bit

burned using rufus (per your link)

shift/restart

use device

select USB FDD

USB drive immediately starts flashing

boot to windows install

Nope, boots to the OS.  :-/

• ChrisPacer

Ultra-sigh

(refraining from throwing this laptop out the window)

I researched some more and found that maybe secure boot needed to be turned off.  So I turned it off.

This time when I shift/restarted and choose Use Device I got the specific name (cruzer blah blah blah) of the USB drive w/the ISO (as opposed to USB FDD).

However, it still boots to the friggen OS.

Help save this laptop, cuz i'm seriously getting ready to take a hammer to it.

I have tried everything.  I enabled f12 boot device options but when I hit f12 upon booting (from restart or powered off) I don't get a boot menu.  I went into the BIOS and made the USB the boot device but it does not get booted too.

ONe thing: This laptop came w/Win 7 or 8 and I updated it to w10.  Pretty sure it came w/7.

This is absolutely ridiculous.  I have installed via USB SO many times. 

• IronFly
    Can you post the exact laptop model?

• ChrisPacer

571p 6642

I gave up and switched the BIOS to legacy.  It installed immediately.  If you have any theories, I would love to hear them. 

• IronFly

USB flash drive with Rufus must be:

partition scheme GPT for UEFI only

file system FAT32

and booting pressing F12, you must choose your USB flash drive name/brand not USB FDD and not messing with Boot priority on BIOS

don't use legacy to install windows 10

• ChrisPacer

Thanks for helping but did you read what I wrote?

I did exactly what you said to do and more and nothing would work.  I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing something wrong while thinking I was right but...

I followed the link you posted (rufus) and set rufus just like you said.

Booting to the flash drive did not work.  Laptop would just boot to the OS>

ALSO 0 this was not even possible until I went in and disabled secure boot.  THEN i was given the option to choose the exact name of the flash drive, as opposed to the generic USB FDD.

Nada...tried many times.

Legacy worked immediately.  Why shouldn't i use it?

• IronFly
    If legacy worked and uefi not, simply the USB wasn't set correcrly for uefi or it will never boot under legacy.

Legacy is not safe, since it's easier for rootkits to attack BIOS.
  • ChrisPacer

Hmm...It's my son's laptop so there's nothing that needs to be protected but it IS on our home network so...I would like to avoid security holes.

Maybe I will do it again per your instructions and post pictures as I go and you can show me where I'm making a mistake.  

• IronFly

Try another USB flash drive too and double check if windows 10 is x64 version.

• ChrisPacer

I am getting sick of screwing with this thing.  I can't even get back into the legacy BIOS.  I assume I need to change it before I can even begin to install W10 w/UEFI. 

Yes, I am using 64 bit.  I doubt there is anything wrong w/ the flash drive as i've installed multiple things including burning this ISS about 5 times now.

I will say that it's quite possible I did not burn the ISO as you directed because I just noticed that when you change options in RUFUS other options change as well.  So, i burned the ISO again, carefully, but now I'm stuck in this vain effort to get back into the BIOS.

If you search you will see that there are many many threads with people asking about how to get into the 571 BIOS.  I get a blip that's says hit f2 but no matter how fast I hit it or hold it down all I get is the OS. 

Shift-restart gets you to advanced options but there is, obviously, no option to get into the UEFI BIOS because there is no UEFI BIOS because I changed it to legacy. 

EDIT: it also says hit f12 to choose boot device but that doesn't work either.  There are MANY threads where people say 'make sure your KB works.'  Pretty sure it works...

• IronFly

Are you able to boot to OS?

check if your BIOS version is 2.18

windows logo key + r

type 

msinfo32

check BIOS DATE/version string

if your version is older than 2.18 update it

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_2.18_A_A.zip?acerid=635253775124926448&Step1=ULTRA-THIN&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%20V5-571P&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

if it's 1.xx don't update it.