My computer isn't detecting my new graphics card, and it presented a new problem.

sockableclaw
sockableclaw Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Before I start, I have a Gateway DX-4860 UB-20P.

OK, here's my situation. Earlier this week (on Tuesday) I bought an RX 480 card. I installed it in my PC and it worked just fine. Yesterday I bought another a memory stick (2 GB of RAM) and when I installed it on my PC and booted it up, my PC no longer detected the RX 480! It switched to onboard video.

So, doing what anyone else would do, I took out the new memory stick and turned the computer back on. My computer was still not detecting the RX 480! So after that I put back in my prior video card (a GTX 650 Ti) and my computer wasn't detecting that either! My computer is stuck in onboard video.

I know it isn't my monitor because I tried using a different monitor and that didn't work either.

I even updated my BIOS and reset the CMOS and I'm still stuck in the same situation. Oh, and there's no way to manually disable my onboard video. There's no option in BIOS at all. And formatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows wouldn't do anything because I get no signal from the video card during startup before it even loads Windows.

Is my motherboard ruined? This is a relatively new motherboard (it's an Acer Aspire M3970). I got it in 2014.

I have a Corsair CX750M power supply.

Please help. Thanks.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

It sounds like the PCIe slot is bad. Though the power supply is well above the requirement for either video card, you don't mention what type memory you installed. This model supports dual-channel 1333 MHz DDR3 DIMM sticks but please note we are unable to guarantee all brands of memory will work in the system. If you installed the same type memory, it could be coincidence that both video cards are no longer being seen in that slot. We would recommend service at this point. 

• sockableclaw
    sockableclaw Member Posts: 2 New User

The memory I have installed is regular DDR3. Same for the new memory stick. I ensured it was the same type as the other three 2gb memory sticks I have installed.

I was thinking the PCIe slot is bad as well. But is there any chance my power supply is going kaput, and that's causing the problem?

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

You could start with trying a different known-working power supply to see if this may be the issue. Other than that, we would recommend service to fix the PCIe slot.