keyboard problem

Hurltastic4
Hurltastic4 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I purchased a CB5-571-C1DZ in November 2015 for my daughter for Christmas.  I have been very pleased with the unit until yesterday  a few keys on the keyboard stopped working:  The backspace, G and H keys.  The rest seem to work fine.  What can be done to fix this?

Answers

• Hurltastic4
    Hurltastic4 Member Posts: 2 New User

I tried a hard reset / powerwash.  Did not fix it.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

Typically when a small cluster of keys stop working it's because something (like a liquid spill) has gotten in between the keyboard membranes. It looks like you're out of warranty so you might try taking it apart and cleaning both sides of each of the membranes. Acer will do out of warranty service to replace the keyboard for you, but it's not all that much cheaper than buying a new Chromebook.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rocklobster51
    rocklobster51 Member Posts: 4 New User
    also having a kb issue - some of the middle row keys (a-'), and most of the bottom row keys except B & N, didn't work.  (in other words, B & N do work.  rest of the keys don't, including alt & ctl).  there has never been a spill & the area under the keys is clean.  i did a powerwash.  all middle & upper keys work now.  bottom row is unchanged.  what's next - do i have to do a full restore next?  if so can i do it without a place to store the OS?