install ssd for dual boot win10

webchap
webchap Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I purchased a ssd for my Acpire E15-575G to run a second (Ubuntu) operating system.

I installed the operating system on the second (SSD) drive.

Windows doesn't recognize the Ubuntu disk (no problem) but neither does the UEFI/bios.

How can I get the system to come up and ask if I want to boot Ubuntu?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS

2. Go in to BIOS settings and create a supervisor password (this will reveal the advanced secure boot settings)

3.  Add Grub to the trusted secure boot settings.

You can search my posts in the forum if you need more help, but those three steps should do it.  If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas.  Normally you would put Windows and Ubuntu on the same disk for dual boot.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • webchap

JordanB

I have done as your suggested, however, nothing is showing up on the HDD1 model or serial no.

My ssd is a muskin tractor 480g, it worked okay in legacy mode without the HDD installed.

I'm not sure how to update the EFi parameters since it's not finding the drive.

Looking for your other solutions using search, but not having much luck with your extensive list of posts.

Thanks.  I'll keep working on it, but am grasping at straws here.

• JordanB

You must have secure boot enabled.  Maybe you should just start over and put Windows and Ubuntu on the same disk.  I've not heard of anyone using two different disks like you are.  You can also check Ubuntu forum.

Some newer models have trouble and required a firmware update through Windows Update.  I'm not sure if your model falls in to that category.  It's possible you may have to call Acer for a firmware update.  Not sure.

Some of the posts in the link below have wrong and confusing information, but ask Sherwaniusman in the thread below.  He seems to know what he's talking about.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Ubuntu-on-Swift-3-SF314-51-74FW-black-screen-after-menu-on-Live/td-p/464481/page/4

Good luck.

• JordanB

The link below explains how to use the "diskpart clean" command so you can wipe your new SSD and re-install in EFI mode (UEFI mode).  

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en?language=en_US

• webchap

JordonB

5 years ago I had a catastrophic (possibly hacked) event on 4 Windows computers. Bought 5 new disk drives.

The whole purpose of the Linux system is to PROTECT my software & data from Windows crashes/bugs/expolits.

If I didn't need a Windows system to do my taxes, and use a couple of software packages for photo processing, I wouldn't bother with Win10 at all. So for me, a single operating system disk drive is unacceptable.

Thanks for your advice - it has gotten me closer to a workable result

• JordanB

You're welcome.

Please don't use legacy mode again.  Legacy mode is very insecure.  Five years ago you were probably using computers with legacy BIOS. Legacy BIOS is very susceptible to rootkits.  Windows 10 is much more secure with UEFI/GPT/secure boot.

A lot of people start messing with BIOS settings on this forun and make their computer insecure because they don't know what they're doing.

Again, Windows 10 is very secure unless you start monkeying with BIOS settings.... for example...putting it in legacy mode will make it insecure.

Good luck.

• JordanB

The video below shows you how to enable the F12 boot menu......which will allow you to boot whichever OS you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KycrBtjuJHc