Brand new Acer Iconia One 10 B3-A30 won't charge

Lilytaylor
Lilytaylor Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 15 in 2018 Archives

Hello,

I purchased one of the new Acer Iconia One tablets yesterday. The initial setup was all fine. It charged up to 100% and was working great.

When I went to bed last night, I put the tablet on charge because I had used quite a lot of battery up playing around with it. I did not turn it off while charging it. This morning when I went to take it off charge, I saw the battery had only charged to about 40% and there was an error message saying "Over charger voltage".

I am using the exact charger that came in the box with my tablet so I don't know why this has happened. I've tried unplugging it and trying again, both with the tablet on and off, and it simply just does not recognise that a charger is plugged in at all now.

Needless to say, I am not very happy with this. I purchased an Acer tablet because my laptop is Acer and I trust that it is a good brand. Please help, because I really need a working tablet for the next few months! I am writing my dissertation about an app!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

turn it off, then plug the charger, check if it starts charging.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Lilytaylor

That was the first thing I tried and it hasn't worked

• IronFly

Ok, it's time to contact your seller and check if it's possible to change it with a brand new or call Acer support service for a warranty repair.

• Lilytaylor

I just tried plugging it into my laptop whilst turned off and weirdly it has started charging now. But when plugging it into the mains power supply it still brings up that "Over charger voltage" error message. So it seems like the problem is with the plug attachment?

• IronFly

Can be the plug, can be the AC charger or the tablet battery controller.

• gingyecc44
    gingyecc44 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, i have a Acer Iconia One B3-A30. It wont chargec on stand-by, but will only charged when switched off please can some one help
  • DecahedronVoid
    DecahedronVoid Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi, I have an iconia one 10 b3 A30. It charges slowly when turned off, barely holds its charge when asleep, looses charge slowly when in use, even with charger plugged in. If I get it to full charge, it will hold it a while when in use, then after a few days, the red light comes on and it looses the charge in about half an hour, then powers down and won't do anything at all for an hour or more, no response, black screen. Is there anything I can do?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,445 Trailblazer
    Which charger are you using? The symptoms sound like the charger is putting out 0.5A (USB 2.0 spec) instead of 2.1A (USB 3.0 spec). That could a bad charger or a bad cable, since the cable has some smarts to allow the higher charge rate.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DecahedronVoid
    Thank you Billsey <3 I have used my charger and cable, and my daughter's, which is the same model, and a new 2A charger and cable. Cable or charger could explain the slow charge, but would not explain why battery depletes from full charge in half an hour, while other times it retains full charge. Tablet is 6 months old and has been used a lot.
  • DecahedronVoid
    Battery charging less and less. Is that what batteries do when they are failing? Do I need to send it to Acer?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,445 Trailblazer
    It's tough to tell if it's a failing battery or an app that's running amok. If one of your apps is driving a radio or the GPS at full power all the time it'll act just like the battery is failing, by sucking power much more quickly than normal. Have you tried a factory reset (back up your data first, since everything will be wiped back to stock). If the reset clears up battery issues you can reinstall apps one at a time looking for the one that's causing the issue.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Cullen
    Cullen Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was having this issue as well. What I ended up doing to fix it was using a different charging cable (couldn't find the original, but thankfully micro-USB cables are easy to find), and plugging the tablet directly into my PC instead of using my ancient USB hub, even though it was an externally powered hub. Plugging directly into the wall would probably also work.