Chromebook 13 CB5-311 Battery Issues

gmosley
gmosley Member Posts: 8 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I've had my Chromebook for a little over two years without incident. Recently, the battery refused to charge - stuck at 1%. Scanning the forums, I found an answer - poking a small hole on the bottom cover which, purported to be the equivalent of removing and re-inserting the battery. It did, in fact, get me by the 1% problem. My battery does re-charge to 100% now. However, it drains abnormally fast. Leaving it in "sleep" mode for a day results in a pretty much completely drained. This is new behaviour.

Does anyone know the life expectancy of this model's battery? Before going through the hassle and expense of a new battery, I want to be sure there isn't some other explanation. 

Thanks.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

A fast draining battery can indicate the battery needs to be changed. We would recommend the system be serviced for this issue as the battery isn't considered user replaceable, but if you feel comfortable replacing the battery you certainly can do so. You can get a repair quote by filling out the form at http://customercare.acer.com/customercare

You will receive an email with the repair fee info and the number to call to book the repair. Hope this is helpful.

• gmosley

Thanks, Mary. That's pretty much the conclusion I arrived at and I've ordered a new battery from a net vendor. Posting and packaging is just not practical for me.

Thanks for the reply.

• gmosley

OK. Battery has been replaced with brand new one. Used CROSH to confirm health (99+%). Drain was .04% in 300 secs - not quite sure what a good figure is here. Turned off all Chrome extensions, for the CROSH analysis, but left them off to see if there was an effect on drain speed. Device is still draining noticeably faster than it used to. Most recent example: from full charge to 2% in ~2 days with virtually no actual use; i.e. in sleep mode. This kind of activity used to result in a week or more before needing to recharge and, even then, it would have been 15 - 20% when I'd decide to plug it in.

Does this suggest a problem somewhere else in the device?

Wish I'd known about CROSH before I replaced the battery.

• Mary-Acer

At this point we would recommend service as the problem could be the mainboard. If you go to this link and fill out the form, you'll get an email with the repair fee (flat rate) and the number to call to set up the repair. The flat rate includes parts, labor, 90 day warranty on the repair and return shipping. Hope this is helpful!

• gmosley

OK. Tried that. I'm stuck on the "Case Booking" page. I selected "BATTERY AND POWER SUPPLY" from the list in the "Failure Symptom" box but when I try to advance, I get "Please insert an accurate problem description", which I can't get by. I even tried selecting "BT : ABNORMAL BATTERY CAPACITY INDICATED" from the "Symptom code" list, even though that's not my problem, but it came closest.

• Mary-Acer

If there is a field for you to type the problem description that may be what it's wanting before it will let you advance. If you are still having problems booking the repair, please send me a private message and we'll see what we can do to help.

• gmosley

Nope. No Problem Description box - just the two I already filled in.

• Mary-Acer

Ok, send me a private message with your name, the serial number of the system and your phone number, and we'll forward this on for call back to help setting up for repair. 

• gmosley

I can't find any way to send you a private message, so here's the info you requested:

George ***

S/N:NXMPRAA010***

SNID: ***

[edited for privacy - THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM - please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• Mary-Acer

If you hover your mouse over my name/icon in this thread a box should pop up and you should be able to click on Send Message.