G9-591 no audio from speakers Win 10.0.14393

Ario
Ario Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Since there are several others with this unacceptable issue, and since it is software related, please can anyone confirm that a driver update (Realtek) will fix this.

The issue:

no audio from the built-in speakers, only via headphone (mini-jack).

Fiddling with similar drivers (not those by Acer) had my sepakers working for a few minutes, so I am positive that this is a software and/or driver issue.

Running Win 10 build 14393, Acer bios 1.10.

Something must have gotten updated somewhere, either by MS or by Acer (or Intel), and then the speakers went dead. This is unacceptable.

Answers

• Mary-Acer
    Mary-Acer Acer Crew Posts: 868 Acer Crew

If it worked before and now it doesn't, it's could be due to a Windows Update. 

Unfortunately Acer does not have control over Windows updates. But if this happened right after an Update you can try uninstalling the Windows update for that driver and see if this resolves the issue. Instructions are posted here that may be helpful:

http://www.howtogeek.com/206271/how-to-roll-back-or-uninstall-a-problematic-windows-update/

If this does not resolve the issue please contact Acer support from the contact info posted here:

https://www.acer.com/worldwide/

• Ario

hmmm the HD Audio Manager tool seems to indicate that my heaphones are plugged into the mini jack port, which they ARE not.

That would explain why no audio is sent to the built in speakers.

For a workaround, I'll check if there is some kind of re-routing trick that I can do.

As for the real solution, this can still be software OR hardware related.

And as for the reply above, thanks but I could imagine that you ARE aware that I know quite well how to install drivers etc. (as does probably 100% of all other Predator owners).

• Ario

OK I'm pretty sure the so-called sense pin in the headphone jack went bad.

So now the machine constantly 'senses' headphones plugged in.

For desktops (without built-in speakers) one can re-route audio ports, this doe snot work for laptops. 

Seems all I can do, is claim warranty.

A very clear description of a comparable situation can be found at: 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19345854

• Cherubimzion
    Cherubimzion Member Posts: 5 New User

I sent the first predator 15 I had back for this very issue. The replacement worked fine until today. I have had it 13 months and fear I have no warranty option to count on and few options to fix this faulty headphone jack it seems Acerplaced in at least some of these predator 15s.

• Ario

Thanks for your input. Will send mine back soon. Maybe I should consider using usb for headphone-out, so as not to lose the speaker-out again ...

• Cherubimzion
    Cherubimzion Member Posts: 5 New User

I would love to tell you that makes a difference, but sadly it doesn't. I have only ever used a USB headset with this computer. The day the headphone jack failed i had no headset connected at all and was watching youtube videos through the speakers. It seems the sensor can fail even when you don't use the jack at all.

I have found no true ways to disable the headphone jack and use USB headset only or speakers, but I haven't gone as far as to open the case yet. I did find a temporary workaround I am working with currently. I selected "update driver" on my realtek driver but then told it to let me choose and pointed it to the microsoft inbox audio driver (typically only used for trouble shooting). Fortunately, this driver seperates the speakers and headphones and I was able to disable the headphone jack and the speakers work fine. I can now use speakers, USB headset, HDMI sound, and bluetooth for sound. The only thing not working is the headphone jack I never really needed anyway. If only the actual realtek drivers would include a "disable headphone jack" option I could have my real drivers and use my computer as intended. Apparently based on some posts, realtek drivers did include this back in 2011. Some users were able to rollback that far and accomplish the fix, but I'm hesitant to use 6 year old drivers due to potential crashes.

This leaves me a bit confused that this is partly a hardware failure in the sensor, but also partly in how that sensors communicates with the drivers.

Good luck with your replacement, and hope the problem doesn't come up again for you like it did for me.

• Ario

Thanks so much, great reply !!

Yes now that you mention it, I was fiddling with drivers and the speakers worked for a few minutes.

So indeed, both HW and SW seem to blame.

Quite worrying, that both seem faulty.

And that the headphone sensing seems to activate in some cases, without anything being plugged in!

The search for a driver that includes some kind of 'ignore headphone (sensing)' seems to be most promising.

Cheers,

Arie 

• Ario

Reboots (Uncorrectable error), probably due to overheating, have stayed away.

BUT the older malfunction is back:

http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/G9-591-no-audio-from-speakers-Win-10-0-14393/m-p/490992#M3283

The sense pin is probably broken AGAIN, so no audio from the speakers, and this time not even from the headphone-out.

So no audio at all !

This is going back and will never enter my business again.

After 3 mainboards, I will NOT have a 4th one put in, since the sense pin error is in every mainboard.

[inappropriate content removed]