beststevie
beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

best wihes for the new year  to all!!!

I just wanted to give a short feedback to the first Gaming Notebook of
Acer I bought in November 2015

good

- I never had such a stable computer. Sometimes it was so boring to me, because I love solving problems, so I found this forum here Smiley Happy

- the overall performance is really impressive (I added 16GB RAM and a Samsung 950Pro). Even as the GTX980M was not really new on the market when the G9 was released, it is still powerful enough for all Full HD games I play.

- compared to other Gaming Notebooks if you regard the design, it has still its fans.

- cooling system is sufficient and I don't have any performance lags

- dual boot OS with Linux Mint 18.1 and Win10 Home works great

- after over one year usage I counted only one system failure (I had to reset by Pin)

not so fine

- as I was out with my G9 the first time and I had to use the Wlan feature, I was really dissapointed. Performance was bad and some unstable behaviour. You can find some threads in the forum about this, too.

- Killer Networking Drivers are causing BSODs ("driver less or equal" or "nwifi.exe...."). Actually I did a fresh install with my favourite drivers and the current drivers from Killer Networking and I didn't encounter any more BSODs.

- The Letters A S D are not readable any more. The material is minor quality and should be improved (maybe it has been done already) in future

- the feature of the Intel Storage Driver is very harmful for beginners and Acer should at least enclose a red paper document which tells some facts about this to avoid so much pain for the new users

Conclusion:

I think it's worth to count my money for a fresh one, but I still can wait easily while gambling on a high niveau.

Answers

• EmperorBorg
    EmperorBorg Member Posts: 21 Networker

My Predator 17 with 1070 worked fine so far, except one case when it completely froze and I had to open the service case to make it turn off (power button was not working). This is the only anomaly I encountered. No BSODs, no stucks, no overheat.

The only thing I can complain at the moment is the lack of CAPS/NUM/SCLK LEDs, which can miss-lead you when typing (you end up writing in CAPS or not writing numbers).