Screen Flicker Acer Predator G5-793 - Windows 10 Pro

Options
CatalinR
CatalinR Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

Bought this laptop a few weeks ago and sometimes the screen flickers only once, not repeatedly, every couple of minutes.

I game and keep Chrome in the background most of the times.

I've tried installing the video drivers from the Acer support site and the newest nVidia drivers (currently installed). They both behave the same.

I saw someone just posted a flickering issue for G9-793, but in my case it does not blink repeatedly. Just once every X minutes. There are times when it goes for minutes on end without any flicker.

It seems to be triggered when I switch from a game to a browser.

The exact model: NH.Q1HEX.005

Any ideas what can be done?

Thanks,

Catalin

Answers

• CatalinR
    Options

It seems I am the only one encountering this issue?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

it's better if you contact Acer support service for this kind of issues.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Quabla
    Quabla Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello CatalinR,

I have the same issue with my G5-793 (model: NH.Q1HEV.001) and I may have found a solution.

Since I did the following yesterday I didn't experience any screen flicker:

- Download and install the software "NVIDIA inspector". It's free software. A guide regarding this software including a download link can be found here:

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector

But there are many other guides and other download sites available (just google it but be sure to chose a trustworthy download site).

- When NVIDIA inpector is installed open it.

- Click "Start Profile Inspector" (Small square icon next to the line which displays your driver version). This'll open the Profile Settings window.

- There's a section called "Sync and Refresh". Here you can find the option "Frame Rate Limiter". By default it's value is "Off".

- Click the dropdown menu of this "Frame Rate Limiter" option. Select the value which is the same value as your screen's refresh rate but make sure that it's a "... (Frame Rate Limier v2)" option.

- Click "Apply changes".

- Restart Windows.

For example, my G5-793 laptops screen has a refresh rate of 75 Hz. Hence I selected "75fps (Frame Rate Limiter v2)".

Please let me know if you need further explanation (English is not my native language).

Best regards

Quabla

• CatalinR
    Options

Hi Quabla,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write those details.

Sadly, that didnt do it for me. Maybe there is another setting that we don't share.

Below you can see my details. I will message you my e-mail so we can chat there if you have the time.

SS.jpg

Thanks a lot again and best regards,

Catalin

• Quabla
    Quabla Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi CatalinR,

Here's a screenshot of my other settings:

Nvidia_Profile_Inspector_Settings.PNG

As you can see I set "GSYNC - Global Feature" to "On" and the mode to "Fullscreen only".

Another difference is in section 5 where I set "Power management mode" to "Adaptive".

But it could well be that you have a different display in your laptop that has a different refresh rate or doesn't support GSYNC. Please check in NVIDIA Control Panel which refresh rate your display supports. On the following screenshot you can see that mine supports 75 Hz:

Nvidia_resolution_refresh_rate.PNG

If yours supports only 60 Hz you might try to set the frame rate limiter to "60fps (Frame Rate Limiter v2)".

In the G-SYNC section of NVIDIA Control Panel you can also check if G-SYNC is supported at all with your display, i.e. if you can select it as an option. If not, then my G-SYNC settings in Nvidia Profile Inspector shouldn't make any difference for your issue.

In addition to all these setting changes I have the newest BIOS in version 1.08. It is available as an update on the Acer support page if your laptop runs on an older BIOS. I mention this as the last point because a failed BIOS update might result in a non-functional laptop.

If you decide to do a BIOS update please take care that the laptop is connected to power, the battery is fully charged and no other software is running, especially no anti-virus software as it might interfere with a BIOS update.

Best regards

Quabla

• CatalinR
    Options

Hi,

My monitor is exactly the same, of course. 75hz, GSync support.

I turned off GSync just to check if it makes any difference.

Also updated to the latest Bios last week (1.08).

I've done a clean Windows install and kept Windows from installing drivers in order for me to install the ones from Acer from the beginning.

The flickering isn't totally gone but it seems to happen less frequent in Chrome at least...

Thanks again for taking the time to reply Quabla! Much appreciated!

• Peewie
    Peewie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I do have the same issue, and I JUST bought the laptop!

It came on thursday and now I installed every new driver and the new BIOS ...

still flickering.

And the thing with NVDIA Pofile Inspector doesn't work for me :/

It doesn't even take the changes after I restart my system Smiley Sad

• CatalinR
    Options

Hi,

It seems that if I unplug the charger and use it on battery power, the flickering stops.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this?

• Beowirh
    Beowirh Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Greetings,

I seem to have the same issue on my G5-793. The exact model is NH.Q1HED.009.

So far I have been able to determine the issue happens mostly when the processor is under heavy load, like running Prime95 or compressing a video at the same time as doing something else like web browsing. Somehow it seems like it doesn't occur as much as time passes when using the computer. After computer is idle a while and I start using it, then it starts to happen more often again.

It doesn't happen on an external display only on the laptop screen. I haven't been able to replicate the issue when my screen brightness setting has been turned to maximum. I have tried with different power settings to no avail. Also running plugged or unplugged doesn't affect it.

Running NVidia Inspector did not help, the setting reset every time I rebooted the computer. G-Sync setting had no effect on the matter.

• CatalinR
    Options

Hi Beowirh,

After many tries to isolate the issue, I've come to the conclusion that it only happens if you lower the LED brightness below a certain level (the one achieved by using the windows shortcut Fn +Key) or the display shows dark/neutral colors on the screen.

So, it's either because the LED screen is faulty or the inverter used on the motherboard is faulty. It doesnt happen at high brightness because faulty LEDs dont usually flicker on max power.

I've sent it to warranty but the "engineers" there could not replicate the issue. You can't tackle such an issue with PC Doctor, as they "professionally" did. Horray for incompetence!

Luckily I've come across an old post made by an Asus ROG user that had the same issue and managed to workaround it by lowering the LCD brightness instead of the LED brightness.

This is the thread. Check the post by user "steveninspiration" on 11-30-2011, 10:52 AM.

Of course, this should only be a temporary fix until you manage to get it fixed or replaced. Hope you have more luck than me with the Acer service in your country! I've currently issued a complain to the state authorities for the way I've been treated by the Acer service in mine.

Regards,

Catalin

• Beowirh
    Beowirh Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you, I was afraid it might be a hardware issue. Too bad I just ran out of the return policy time limit. Hopefully I can still change it to laptop with a screen that doesn't flicker and without any other problems as well.

• Dr_Cool
    Dr_Cool Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

CatalinR, so I see that I'm not the only one having troubles with a negligent Acer SAV (see the thread on my problems with the Predator G9-793 touchpad): http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-G9-793-with-erratic-touchpad/m-p/482842#U482842

• CatalinR
    Options

Hi Dr_Cool,

Sadly I have been treated in relatively similar fashion. First they told me that they can't find any problem, that the screen is not flickering, then they told me they would replace the motherboard. After waiting for the motherboard to arrive for the legal limit of 15 calendar days, they just gave the laptop back to me saying that they couldn't find any flaw with it after reinstalling Windows, drivers and running several tests with testing software. Obviously they wanted to avoid the fine they would receive for keeping the laptop for more than 15 days.

Of course, after I brought the laptop home, they issue was still there...

I have contacted the state authorities for my case and waiting for a resolution from them, a rather hefty fine is due for them lying to me and returning the laptop, unfixed, after 15 days and 6 hours.

Meanwhile I will try to spread the word on the internet as much as I can so that people know never to trust Acer and their partners. You'd think that buying a MacBook Pro priced laptop (1500+ EUR) from them would at least bring decent support.

Hopefully in time and after declining sales, Acer will improve their after sales support and get it above sea level at least.

Regards,

Catalin

• Dr_Cool
    Dr_Cool Member Posts: 16 New User
    Options

Thanks for sharing, I've started a similar process here to recover my financial losses plus professional and moral damages.

• tlsgaming
    tlsgaming Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

To those having flickering issue I just wanted to add that I am on my 2nd unit, the 1st unit flickered horribly just by turning down the brightness - full brightness it didnt flicker - as for the 2nd unit I was getting random flickering and tried the nVidia Inspector frame rate limiter mentioned in this thread and instead of setting by fps I set it by temp (90c) and the random flickering seems to have stopped (gsync on and off).

g9-793 

(also seemed to flicker when it was plugged in and not on battery)

Hopefully the problem doesnt resurface

• jake_angelson
    jake_angelson Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

I think we all have the same problem, when i saw the tread about flickering i tried to observe my G9-593 part no. NH.Q16EM.001 with gtx1070 (G-Sync Panel) here what I observe, when i open the Prime95 and start to stress test with maximum brightness the panel is not flickering but when i start to reduce the brightness slowly the flickering happen. please try it to your self and let me know if i'm the only one experiencing this. by the way i did the NVIDIA inspector thing. thanks

• tlsgaming
    Options

Just an update I noticed a small flicker and the rate limiter capped my fps to 90 (90c?) 

ddu the drivers and the problem hid, did the prime95 and lowering the brightness it started flickering again dont know what to do but return this 2nd unit

so the problem remains.

• jake_angelson
    jake_angelson Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

My observation was correct and i'm not the only one experiencing the Prime95 flickering with lowering the brightness. i hope that this can be fixed by software I don't want to return my unit. ACER Representative please do something.

• tlsgaming
    Options

Goodluck - I am officially done trying to fix this laptop, getting a ryzen 1800x instead - thanks acer... i guess

• BillDCat1
    BillDCat1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I also experienced this only when plugged in and not when running on battery power on my G9-793 and Windows 10 Pro (my notebook is only two months old now).

The flicker seems to be reduced by adjusting the power plan settings so the battery and plugged in brightness is set to the same level (although I still perceive a slight flicker now and then).  It could be the power supply isn't providing a consistent amount of power resulting in the display jumping between battery and plugged in display brightness settings.  Of course it could be something entirely different and I'll be contacting Acer support directly to try and resolve this (if they give me something helpful I'll try and share it back here).