Visual Studio 2015 for Aspire One cloudbook

My laptop has: 1.6mhz processor, 2gb RAM, and 32gb internal storage. Taking an online course for C++ programming. Course requires Visual Studio 2015. Course syllabus states requirements are: 1.6mhz processor, 1gb RAM, and 4gb or more of free space on hard drive. I installed VS successfully, even though this alone ate up 8gb of space?? Then I had to install 2 missing components after I opened VS, and that installation was unsuccessful because the error message said I needed yet another 4gb more of space that I no longer had. I am confused because the syllabus said only 4gb of space is needed for VS 2015, NOT 12gb total.

I have tried deleting temporary files, other unused apps, and even reset the laptop to factory mode, all to no avail. Do I just need a better laptop to download software designed for programming?

Best Answer

• JackEJackE Posts: 22,005 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer

>>>Course syllabus states requirements>>>4gb or more of free space on hard drive.>>>

Yeah, looks like the "or more of free space" gets your course developers off the hook. Thought they might have another scaled-down installation version for running off a standalone cloudbook with limited resources.

The idea behind using a cloudbook is to trying to do most things from, well, the web-connected cloud instead. 8^) I almost but not quite like to think of a cloudbook as going back to the idea of using a cheap limited-resource dumb terminal that's hardwire-connected to a server. 

So have you considered trying to run VS15 online or from a cloud drive like google drive or onedrive? Have you tried to google "visual studio 2015 online" to see what  pops up?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE ACE Posts: 22,005 Trailblazer

How was VS15 installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
  • alternaacealternaace Member Posts: 2
    How was VS installed? Well....I have Win 10. To install VS 2015, I used Typical installation which includes C#/VB web and desktop features. Setup was successful, but after trying to open new project, I was instructed to click "Choose Install Visual C++ Tools for Win desktop". That installation attempt was unsuccessful because I no longer had enough free HD space to install. Hope all this helps..new to this.
  • JackEJackE ACE Posts: 22,005 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer

>>>Course syllabus states requirements>>>4gb or more of free space on hard drive.>>>

Yeah, looks like the "or more of free space" gets your course developers off the hook. Thought they might have another scaled-down installation version for running off a standalone cloudbook with limited resources.

The idea behind using a cloudbook is to trying to do most things from, well, the web-connected cloud instead. 8^) I almost but not quite like to think of a cloudbook as going back to the idea of using a cheap limited-resource dumb terminal that's hardwire-connected to a server. 

So have you considered trying to run VS15 online or from a cloud drive like google drive or onedrive? Have you tried to google "visual studio 2015 online" to see what  pops up?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ