Aspire V3-472P-35FZ cannot disable pinch zoom or find touchpad settings

Peter6
Peter6 Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi everyone,

I like this laptop and the touchpad works fine, but I'd like to disable the pinch-to-zoom function. Following internet articles, I've looked a number of times at the Control Panel under Mouse settings. There's no touchpad listed, and no 'Device Settings' tab at the far right.

Then I tried updating the mouse drivers, but all are said to be the most current. I tried downloading a touchpad driver from synaptics, but the dl failed to install on setup twice. I tried checking the UEFI settings (is that the BIOS?) following a previous post here, but cannot see any listing for touchpad.

Any ideas? Help!

Thanks a lot,

Peter

Answers

• Shenya
    Shenya Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Which touchpad do you have? It should be as simple as going to your control panel>Hardware and Sound>Your touchpad (Synaptics ClickPad v8.1 in my case) and then unchecking and cheking the options as you desire. If you have the icon in your system tray, right click>Pointing device properties, then on the Device Settings tab click the settings button to bing up the same options.

• Peter6

Thanks a lot for the reply! Unfortunately I have been unable to locate my touchpad on the control panel, or mouse properties.

I've made screen-shots of what my Control Panel looks like, and the Mouse dialogue box, below. Any further help is much appreciated!screen shot 2.pngscreen shot 1.png

• I think you may have Precision touchpad, windows will install the driver. If my guess is right, go to settings, Devices, click Touchpad in the left pane, scroll down and untick/tick  the box for Pinch to zoom.

Untitled.jpg

• Peter6

Thanks a lot,

I have downloaded and installed the touchpad drivers for this model from the Acer website, and there's still no 'touchpad' showing on my list of devices (as in the screen-shot above).

• Hi,

Could you please post the snip of your Device Manager showing expanded Mice and other pointing device  and Human Interface Devices.

• Peter6

Thanks a lot, here are screen shots...I've tried the 'update driver' tab for the touchpad, it says it's the most current driver already installed...mouse properties screen shot.pngTouchpad screen shot.png

• Hi,

Could you please post the snip of Device Manager showing "Mice and other Pointing Devices" expanded.

In the mean time check in BIOS ( to access BIOS, press F2 before the OS starts), whether you have Basic/Advanced Options available for touchpad(snip below).

Download the Elantech driver version 13.6.3.1 from here but don't install it, wait for my reply.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5489?b=1

PIC_2111.JPG

• Peter6

Thanks a lot for the continuing help! I have downloaded but not installed that driver. Here are screen shots of my BIOS (no touchpad showing) and Device Manager with the mouse area expanded. Thanks again!

IMG_2179-min.JPGIMG_2179-min.JPG

• Hi,

Right click Elan L2C(in Device Manager), Properties, go to Driver tab and uninstall the current driver, without rebooting install the downloaded driver and see whether it fixes the problem.

• Peter6

Ok, I uninstalled the old driver and did successfully install the new one (I was prompted to restart twice for the new settings to take effect). The BIOS looks the same, no touchpad listed, and while there is an extra line under Mouse in the Device Manager, I still don't see those touchpad settings.

Some original advice was to go to Settings and then Devices. I'm running Windows 8.1 on this machine; when I swipe over from the right side of the screen, I see a Settings tab, but there's no Devices on this area.

Thanks again!

Peter

• Hi Peter,

Sorry, that was in Windows 10(my snip posted earlier), I don't have win 8.1 at the moment, I will do some search and come back.

• Peter6

Thanks a lot! Sorry for all the trouble...

• Hi Peter,

No problem, I think there's a driver conflict is the problem, as you have installed the driver foor Elantech, you should be able to see the Settings panel for Elan Touchpad( like in the snips). I made a mistake your previous driver was the correct one, please install 13.6.1.1 from here:https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/5489?b=1

Back up your system or create a restore point, in Device manager uninstall the driver for HID-compliant touchpad and reboot, see whther you can find the Elan Settings panel( Control panel-> Hardware and sound-> click mouse under Devices and Printers).

Capture.JPGCapture 1.JPGCapture.JPG

• Peter6

Hi, only driver version 13.6.3.1 is showing under 'all' on this driver update page...I want to be sure to do the right things in the right order! Do I attempt to access a restore point first, or after finding and installing the correct older driver? I never saw that nice-looking "Elan" tab btw.

Thanks again,

Peter

• Hi Peter,

As you are running Win8.1, you need to select win 8.1 in the drop down menu, I have asked to create a Recovery point before you do any driver changes as it may give you blue screen. If that happens, you can always go back to a working laptop usin System Restore. It's only a precaution. If you don't know how to create System resore Point, follow the instruction:

Go to Control Panel, System and Security,Security and maintenance, Recovery, Configure system restore, then click the Create button.

Once you have done that, in Device manager you need to uninstall the Driver for HID-compliant Touchpad, now install the downloaded driver version 13.6.1.1

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

• Peter6

Ok, I set a restore point, and did download the correct driver. Thanks a lot for figuring out that I needed to change to Windows 8 drivers! Here are screen-shots of the mouse properties dialogue box (through 'mouse' on the Control Panel) and the Device Manager mouse drop-downs. I'm still not seeing any way to change the zoom setting:

screen shot device manager mouse.pngscreen shot mouse properties.png

• Hi Peter,

I'm sorry, I have run out of ideas, you need to take it to a Tech or wait here to get some help from more experienced membersSmiley Sad

• Peter6

No worries, thanks so much for all the ideas! I do seem to have an odd 'grey area' problem here!

Thanks again,

Peter

• Nivenor
    Nivenor Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Peter, try this registry entry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad]
    "AAPThreshold"=dword:00000002
    "CursorSpeed"=dword:0000000a
    "PanEnabled"=dword:ffffffff
    "ScrollDirection"=dword:00000000
    "TapsEnabled"=dword:ffffffff
    "TwoFingerTapEnabled"=dword:ffffffff
    "ZoomEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "EnableEdgy"=dword:00000000
    "LeaveOnWithMouse"=dword:ffffffff
    "RightClickZoneEnabled"=dword:ffffffff
    "TapAndDrag"=dword:ffffffff

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\PrecisionTouchPad\Status]
    "Enabled"=dword:00000001

Essential parameter is: "ZoomEnabled"=dword:00000000.

This registry entry borrowed from Windows 10, I'm not sure if it will work on Windows 8.1.

• Peter6

Hi, sorry I was away.

I tried this, but am not sure how to add all of this properly, and what it will do (if it works!). I tried 'regedit' from the Run command prompt, and found the directory, and did add the critical string, but was not sure if I did it right. Is that where I would highlight "Touchpad" and then right-click, 'new', and 'string'? I'm not sure of the sequence to input, and then see what would be different ("Mouse" in control panel?).

thanks a lot!

Peter