Can Aspire M5630 be upgraded to run Windows 10 64-bit?

Options
gpop
gpop Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Can my Aspire M5630, which came with Windows Vista 32-bit os, be upgraded to run Windows 10 64-bit?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i just found 2 users that upgraded to windows 10 and it worked, by the way one had an issue with the integrated realtek LAN adapter and it was not able to fix it (maybe an hardware issue).

So, i think it will work but i would first check your BIOS version:

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

check BIOS DATE/version string

Then i would do a full backup of your HDD content (so you will be able to revert to a working system), then download from Microsoft the windows installation media, wipe your HDD and install windows 10 without any product key (you just need to skip the step requesting it), check if everything works and at the end buy a legit product key and authenticate windows.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

click on download tool now, create a DVD or USB installation media and then boot from it.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • gpop
    Options

Thanks IronFly for the quick response. My BIOS is R01-A3 dated 8/28/2007. I'm not sure how useful that is as far as compatibility with Windows 10 64-bit, but it sounds encouraging. I have a SSD that I will install then download Windows 10 for a trial period. If all goes well, I can set up my system to dual boot until I verify whether I still need the 32-bit Vista for any critical software.

• gpop
    Options

I will confirm that I was able to install Windows 10 64-bit on my Aspire which was originally equipped with Vista 32-bit. So far, all is good. I installed it on a SSD and that has breathed new life into this older machine.