Cut/ paste or copy/ paste fails in Win7 when destination is another partition or HDD

skifferic
skifferic Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello to all you Acer fans,

Around beginning of Nov 2016, my File Explorer stopped functioning when pasting to a partition or HDD other than the one where the file to be acted upon was sitting.

Message was:

"Windows Explorer stopped functioning, Windows is looking for a solution".

Alas, after waiting for a few minutes each time the screen goes back to my basic backdrop screen, all icons disappear briefly, then reappear and the file that I wanted to move or cut was still sitting pretty in its original folder. Drag and paste : same result.
Any of you had this strange experience ? and is there a simple solution ? I would even take a chance with a more complex one...!

My PC is a 6 years old Acer (An Acer update was installed in October) AMD Athlon IIx2 220 Processor running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1.
My basic handling is as follows:
-daily Malwarebytes Premium scans, daily Malewarebytes Anti-root Kit scans, Daily Sophos Virus removal tool scans, weekly MS Security essentials scans.
-Backups are a monthly Acronis procedure backing up system files on external HDDs. But I never had to restore it...and I dread to !
-MS updates: are made after OK from Windows Secrets Newsletter.
-I never use Windows mail or MS Office relying instead on Gmail and LibreOffice

Thanks for your Help and in any case Happy Season's Greetings to you all

Skifferic

Answers