acer r3 47T1-54t1 bios settings

zakmir
zakmir Member Posts: 13 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Can someone advise if they experience upgrading the RAM for R3-47T1 with technical steps. I saw a video on YouTube and it was straight forward but when I installed  a 8GB module from Crucial Memory, I got a black screen. System won't boot. Is there any BIOS changes needed or others. Acer 3rd party tells me they have tools etc to do that. But they charge $80. They also mentioned they have some software and tools that they use to resolve this type of issue. But why is the step not on Acer's website. 

Answers

• Hello,

Could you give the part number of the Crucial memory module?

France
  • zakmir

• DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • 1024Meg x 64 •
    • upgrade for Acer Aspire R3-471T-54T1 system.

What Kingston tells me that all new memories are High Density and that is why it didn't work. Need Low Density which most manufacturers stopped making. 

• I suggest you to buy this one  or this one (original memory modules and 100% compatible)

FYI, the 4Gb onboard is Hynix memory and it is randomly compatible with the other brands.

Other compatible memory module:

France
  • zakmir

Thank you. will try one ofyour suggestions nad post back.

• zakmir

Bought 

Hynix 8GB DDR3 Memory SO-DIMM 204pin PC3L-12800S 1600MHz HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB..didn't work. Also updated the VGA driver to the latest on Acer's wesbite.

• Hello,

Sorry but are you sure of the part number?

Could you post here a picture of this one?

IIRC, your bios version is V1.09. That's correct?

France
  • zakmir

BIOS 1.09 IIMG_0119.JPGIMG_0118.JPGnsyde corp 1.09 5/20/15

• Thanks. Yes it's the right memory module and bios version.

• Do you have the same issue with the original one?
    • Have you tried to load the default settings in the bios setup utility before installing the new one?
    • Is your laptop still under warranty?
    France
  • zakmir

Laptop not under warranty. I didnot try default settings in bios. I left the bios as is. I had same issue with the original. In the past I upgraded RAM for dell No issue what so ever. Unless something is blocking it, I am at a loss.

Also, the Acer out of warranty support told me they have speciall software and tools to make this work. Any idea what that might be? Finally according to Kingston all the RAM these days are High Density and perhaps that is why it is not working. 

• Any idea what that might be?

They think the bios is corrupted. Only Authorized Service Partner or Acer service centers can be recover the bios with special softwares.

My advise:

1. Install the original memory module
    2. Perform a power reset:

1. Shut down your laptop

2. Disconnect the AC adapter

3. Wait few minutes

4. Follow this procedure
      Note: The battery reset pinhole is marked with this symbol AC-BRP on the bottom of the laptop.

3. Load the default settings in the bios setup utility

If you still have the same issue, the only solution will be to recover the bios by ASP or Acer.
    France
  • zakmir

The last time I did this pinhole bios reset, I had to send the computer to Acer. Luckily it was under warranty. But now it seems like a recipe for disaster. I guess I have to forgo this upgrade and look for a better PC solution next time. But thanks for all your help.  

• smitheric
    smitheric Member Posts: 4 New User
    can anyone help me with this topic? I have the very same problem. tried both crucial and kingston 8gb pc3l cl11 sodimm ram it while it is installed, the pc will not boot. I'm on 1.09 BOIS
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @smitheric

Try the kingston part below......either directly from kingston or from Amazon.

Part Number: KCP3L16SD8/8

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B5SKK78?tag=wwwkingstonco-20

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?DeviceType=&Mfr=ACE&Line=Aspire&Model=91444
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • smitheric
    @JordanB
    Thank you! Sorry, I just saw your reply. The Kingston memory I just tried is KVR16LS11/8.
    Any idea the difference between the two?  
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I have one of these in my R3. Seems to be available.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2018
    @smitheric

You could contact Kingston and ask.  I simply gave you the only 8 GB SODIMM part that Kingston said was compatible.

The part that Padgett listed (Crucial CT102464BF160B.C16) should be compatible too because someone with R3-471T is using it.....and tested it on userbenchmark.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/4340804

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/aspire-r3-471t-54t1/CT6312356

http://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Aspire-R3-471T/15911

In some rare cases, I've heard of people having to reset the cmos (disconnect the AC charger, disconnect the battery and then remove the CMOS battery for a couple hours) in order to get things to work......but that would be something I would save as a last resort.  I haven't heard of anyone having to reset the CMOS on an R3-471T though.

I suspect that the computer is just fussy about memory.  My guess is the onboard soldered 4 GB Hynix ram doesn't play nice with all DDR3L 1600 CL=11 SODIMM.

If I were buying, I would purchase the Kingston part # that I gave you in my previous post........but obviously I can't guarantee it will work.  The kingston part is probably going to be Hynix ram with a kingston label on it and a kingston SPD chip.  The crucial ram is definitely going to be micron ram.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • smitheric
    @padgett
    Thank you for the reply! The RAM you linked is the very same stick I just returned because the R3 would not boot while installed. Glad to know it's working for you! This Kingston stick is acting the exact same way.

@JordanB
    I appreciate all the help! I'm beginning to wonder about this machine. Can anything just be easy! lol. Removing the CMOS may be the thing I have to do but don't really want to!   
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Have seen machines before that did not like two different sized chips. My R3 has never missed a beat and for me 8GB (4GB on board and 4GB in the slot) is plenty. Just out of curiosity, when you booted to the black screen, did you hear any beeping ? (may be faint).

However if it boots normally without the extra memory then there is nothing wrong with the BIOS.

• smitheric
    Thank you all for the help!!! Installed the 8G Kingston RAM that was failing to boot the machine, pulled the AC power, internal battery and CMOS battery, let the machine sit for about 2 hours then hooked it all all back up. BAM! Laptop booted and RAM now shows 12G. Verified BIOS settings were still correct from pre CMOS battery removal. All is good. Rebooted the laptop several times with zero issues.

Again, thanks to all!