Spin 7 killed my ethernet

twinclouds
twinclouds Member Posts: 6 New User

I just bought this Spin 7 notebook with W10 from Costco yesterday.  After I turned it on and connected it to my home wifi, somehow it killed my ethernet.  I had to restart router (TP-Link AC1750) and cable modem (SB5101) to make the network works again but it got killed again.  I reset the notebook a couple of times.  The results were always the same.  The minimum steps I did to kill the network is the following:

1. Initialize the notebook after reset and enter the information to make it operate;

2. Download Firefox and Classic shell;

3. Synch the Firefox account.

Boom! the network got killed.  Very reliable :-( and very strange.

Anybody have any idea what went wrong?

I guess I will have to return it to Costco for a refund unless somebody can help me to fix the problem.

Thanks.

(I started using the computer since late 70s.  Never had such problem before.)

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Does it happen with EDGE or IE 11 or just Firefox ? If the latter, remove and replace without any add-ons.

First I'd try reloading the WIFI driver. If still persist then set the WiFi properties to "G" only. Third call Acer support. Fouth return and get a new one.

• twinclouds

I didn't notice with other browser.  It appears only occur on TP-Link AC1750 router, but TPL1750 works well with other computers.  Reading posts on this board, I also noticed people have different types fo problems with this particular combination.  Maybe it is some conflict between the Acer Spin 7 and this router.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

It may have to do with the protocols selected but unfortunately I do not have that combination to test. Good luck.

• twinclouds

Well.  My router is working fine.  I don't think I am going to change it.   I guess I am going to return the notebook to Costco anyway. 

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I don't know which version of the TP-link AC1750 you have, but you may just need to update the firmware on your router.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download-center

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • twinclouds

I already updated to the latest version but that didn't help.

• JordanB

I read some reviews of the TP-link ac1750 on Amazon, and some other people had problems like that too.  Honestly I think you should call TP-Link.  

You can also try to reset your tp-link to factory defaults and then reconfigure it from scratch.  Don't use the old settings.   I assume you're using the tp-link firmware and not DD-WRT.  

• twinclouds

Yes.  I am using stock firmware and not DD-WRT.

I will try and see if resetting the settings helps or not.

• JordanB

Ok, please post if the tp-link factory reset resolves the problem.

• twinclouds

I gave up.

• JordanB

Ok, I assume that means you didn't reset your tp-link to factory defaults.