DTS HD Functionality Broken After Latest Android System Update

ronch
ronch Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I have been using my Acer Liquid Zest Plus for more than a month now and one of the features that I really like is its support for DTS HD which really noticeably makes MP3 audio sound better when using a good set of earphones. However, yesterday (Dec. 1, 2016) I downloaded and installed an official (not third party) Android System Update and I discovered that DTS functionality has been broken. Enabling or disabling the feature under Settings no longer makes any difference whatsoever in the MP3 audio quality. Sliding the Bass and Treble sliders to adjust audio quality also has no more effect. 'Enabling' it then restarting the phone also results in the feature being disabled again and Bass and Treble settings reverting back to their default values. It seems Android cannot enable the function anymore. Sound from the loudspeaker has also become noticeably weaker. I have NEVER rooted this phone or installed third-party ROMs.

I hope Acer is aware of this issue and is working on a fix. I was very happy and proud of this phone before the update but now I'm very disappointed.

Answers

• ronch

Tinkerer

Is anyone at Acer really listening?? I posted about an issue with lost DTS functionality on my Liquid Zest Plus after the latest Android update and I've yet to get a reply from an official Acer guy here. I found my country's official Acer email so I emailed them but despite their prompt reply they weren't helpful either. I already said the DTS controls don't work anymore and told them all the things I've tried to fix it but they just repeated what I already said! They told me to take a screenshot of the DTS menu, so I did. Then their response is akin to saying, "Look, you said it's not there but it's there! See?" What the, Acer. Keep up the good work. You'll be gone in a few years.

[inappropriate content removed]

• Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator

Hello @ronch,

I'm sorry that you're having issues after updating your Liquid Zest Plus smartphone.  I know that you already contacted your local Acer Support, but can you please send me a PM with the screenshot, Serial Number and build number so I can look into this for you?

• TheSprunkGTA97
    TheSprunkGTA97 Member Posts: 18 New User

me and my few friend are having same problems after latest update please HELP, at least tell us how can we downgrade?

• TheSprunkGTA97

Please Reply

• ronch

Tinkerer

Looks like we're on the same boat, Sprunk. And it really looks like the latest update killed DTS and made the volume of the loudspeaker much weaker. I can't even hear my phone ring unless I'm in a very quiet place. Please fix these issues, Acer. The Zest Plus is a wonderful phone. It'll be a pity to ruin it with a flaky System Update.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

just to help Acer indentify your OS version, please post:

build number

image version

(settings/about phone - scroll down)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ronch

Tinkerer

For Acer's reference, here are my phone's details:

Model No.: T08

Android Security Patch Level: Oct. 5, 2016

Baseband version: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V79.P21,2016/09/29 14:32

Image P/N: FM.S33A0.002

Customer ID: AAP_GEN1

Kernel version: 3.18.19+

Image version: Acer_AV0M0_T08_RV01RC14_WW_GEN1

Build no.: Acer_AV0M0_T08_1.014.00_WW_GEN1

Custom Build Version: Acer_AV0M0_T08_1.014.00_WW_GEN1

Acer APN version: 2.223-1(p)

Acer PLMN version: 2.223-2.67

Product SKU: WW_GEN1

Device info version: 1.0

Touch FW version: Himax852xes_Booyi fw version: d

Hope this helps.
  • ronch

Tinkerer

@Acer-Jose: I already sent you a PM with the info you requested. Thank you for your help.
  • TheSprunkGTA97

Model Number: T08
    Android Version 6.0
    Android security patch level: 5 October 2016
    Baseband Version: MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V79.P21,
    2016/09 14:32

Image P/N: FM.S33A0.002
    Costumer ID: EMEA_GEN1
    Kernel version: 3.18.19+
    Image Version: Acer_AV0M0_T08_RV01RC14_WW_GEN1
    Build number: Acer_AV0m0_T08_1.014.00_WW_GEN1
    Costum built version: Acer_AV0M0_T08_1.014.00_WW_GEN1

Here

• ronch

Tinkerer

Looks like you and I have the same numbers, except my Customer ID says 'AAP' and yours is 'EMEA', which is obviously just for regional customization but are the same update that broke DTS.
  • TheSprunkGTA97

i'm kind of **bleep** off because i find out for one more problem:

When Somebody calls me it only vibrates no sound at all.

• ronch

Tinkerer

I have to mention also that sounds coming from the loudspeaker also sound muffled and weak After the update.
  • steph
    steph Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hi from Switzerland,

Updated today, same problem Man Sad

Acer_AV0M0_T08_1.014.00_WW_GEN1

Acer_AV0M0_T08_RV01RC14_WW_GEN1

• TheSprunkGTA97

i am wondering if is a solution to downgrade to the first android version?

• ronch

Tinkerer

I think,  before this update touch response was a bit wonky.  This update SEEMS to have improved touch response so at least there's that. However, DTS is broken. I would prefer that Acer rolls out a new update that will fix this DTS issue instead of a rollback because of improved touch response and because it contains a more recent Security Patch Level. Acer should also fix the loudspeaker volume and audio quality,  which sounds much weaker and noticeably dull and muffled now. I was happy with the loudspeaker sound quality and amplitude before but now many sounds from games, video, MP3 playback, ring tones, message alert tones, Viber, Waze, etc. now sound very weak and muffled. 

• TheSprunkGTA97
    yeah that would be nice,i also noticed low fps in camera when recording at night, and i am wondering when will we get this fix,as we can se acer support is **bleep**
  • Jose-Acer
    Jose-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,339 Community Administrator

Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your feedback.  We're currently working on an update that should fix the DTS Premium Sound settings.  This update should start rolling out in about two weeks.

Thanks

• ronch

Tinkerer

That's terrific news, Jose. Send our thanks to all those working on it.  Don't forget to fix the weak loudspeaker volume too. 

• steph
    steph Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Great! Man Very Happy

Thank you very much

• SoozaV
    SoozaV Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi Jose... can you help me? I sent you a PM.

Hola Jose, puedes ayudarme? Te envié un mensaje privado ayer con mis datos, para saber cómo puedo ser distribuidor de la marca.

Saludos.