Does the Acer Spin 3 have a spare m.2 or msata slot for a SSD?

Answers

• mbrittb00
    mbrittb00 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

mbrittb00 said:
    Did anyone ever figure out what size screw was needed to mount the SSD drive?
    Hi,
    The screw size is M2xL3.5, part number:86.V7MN1.002, you can buy it in a hardware shop or a Laptop repair shop.
    Thanks.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    mbrittb00 said:
    mbrittb00 said:
    Did anyone ever figure out what size screw was needed to mount the SSD drive?
    Hi,
    The screw size is M2xL3.5, part number:86.V7MN1.002, you can buy it in a hardware shop or a Laptop repair shop.
    Thanks.
    You are welcome :)
  • mbrittb00
    mbrittb00 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Huggotivi said:
    It's yellow marked... Samsung 960 Evo installed! Fingers crossed! Thanks!! 

Did the EVO 960 work?  From everything I've read the Spin 3 motherboard won't recognize an NVMe SSD (event though the slot is obviously an NVMe slot.
  • mbc0
    mbc0 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Hi,

I have an Acer Spin 3 (SP314-51-P2H4) and tried installing an M.2 256GB MX500 which is not detected despite being on the latest 1.08 bios has anyone had the same result or any idea why? I have ordered an MX300 275GB now to try as I read that the MX300 worked in an earier post :-)
  • mbc0
    Anyone try the MX500?

• mbc0
    I guess these forums are dead!
  • mbc0
    My MX300 275GB arrived but still not detected in the bios! :-( I have the Acer Spin 3 SP314-52-P2H4 I am on the latest 1.08 bios, can anyone help?
  • devinp
    devinp Member Posts: 5 New User
    mbc0 said:
    I guess these forums are dead!
    Ugh, I hope not I'd like to find a compatible model as well, it would be nice to keep the hard drive and have a ssd as well.
  • sudhakar27
    sudhakar27 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Recenly i took sp314-51& addes gigabyte 128gb pcie ssd in m.2 slot, cloned windows 10 oem to this ssd, speed gt improved a lot. Booting time is less than 10 sec. 
  • devinp
    devinp Member Posts: 5 New User
    Recenly i took sp314-51& addes gigabyte 128gb pcie ssd in m.2 slot, cloned windows 10 oem to this ssd, speed gt improved a lot. Booting time is less than 10 sec. 
    I had a Acer Spin 3 SP315-51-37E7 and after a warranty repair they swapped it out with a SP315-51-757C motherboard (a nice upgrade). I added a kingston nvme 256GB SSD. That's a Kaby (the MB updrade) and this post (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/545107/i-want-to-know-the-information-about-the-m-2-slot) stated the kaby chipset is (may be) nvme compatible......which my upgrade bears out.

One issue though (and this may be related to the cloning software, macrium reflect, or just an uefi issue), but it's not respecting the boot order set in bios. I need to boot via the boot menu to select the nvme as the boot drive.  Have you encountered that issue Sudhakar27? 

I'm going to try a few suggestions on the macrium forums (disconnecting hard drive on first boot, and/or the rescue util has a fix boot util that handles that registration on UEFI systems).
  • ChrisH2
    ChrisH2 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I read this thread and others on the forums about upgrading my Spin 3 (NX.GUWEK.006) with M.2 SSD and it seemed that NVMe is generally not compatible, so I bought a WD Green M.2 2280 SATA III 6Gb/s drive (WDS240G2G0B) which appears to tick all the boxes on compatibility. Unfortunately it doesn't show up in the BIOS - Just nothing in Slot 0 looking at the BIOS.
    What did I do wrong?

• mbc0
    Don't think you are doing anything wrong, it just seems some don't work like mine if you read previous posts, tried 4 different ssd's now.
  • ChrisH2
    ChrisH2 Member Posts: 4 New User
    mbc0 said:
    Don't think you are doing anything wrong, it just seems some don't work like mine if you read previous posts, tried 4 different ssd's now.
    Hmm. So do you think it's just that the Pentium 4415U type just can't accept an SSD? In which case why is the slot there? I've just ordered a replacement WDS240G2G0B in case it was that which was defective, I've also ordered a Crucial MX500 CT250MX500SSD4Western Digital WDS250G2B0B and a YUCUN NGFF M.2 2280 240GB so that I can try a whole range of SATA 3 M.2 2280. If none of them work I'm probably going to send the laptop itself back. Too slow even for light work.
    I'm amazed that no-one from Acer is prepared to step in and tell us whether the slot just can't be used or which drives are compatible. No information on Acer support pages, which is pretty poor.
  • mbc0
    ChrisH2 said:
    mbc0 said:
    Hmm. So do you think it's just that the Pentium 4415U type just can't accept an SSD? In which case why is the slot there? I've just ordered a replacement WDS240G2G0B in case it was that which was defective, I've also ordered a Crucial MX500 CT250MX500SSD4Western Digital WDS250G2B0B and a YUCUN NGFF M.2 2280 240GB so that I can try a whole range of SATA 3 M.2 2280. If none of them work I'm probably going to send the laptop itself back. Too slow even for light work.
    I'm amazed that no-one from Acer is prepared to step in and tell us whether the slot just can't be used or which drives are compatible. No information on Acer support pages, which is pretty poor.
    The drives I tested are mentioned on this thread months ago... nothing from anyone let alone acer 
  • mbc0
    I ended up putting in a standard 2.5" 1TB SSD and all working but would have preferred to use the m.2 slot and the 2.5" for storage

• sudhakar27

Tinkerer

devinp said:
    I had a Acer Spin 3 SP315-51-37E7 and after a warranty repair they swapped it out with a SP315-51-757C motherboard (a nice upgrade). I added a kingston nvme 256GB SSD. That's a Kaby (the MB updrade) and this post (https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/545107/i-want-to-know-the-information-about-the-m-2-slot) stated the kaby chipset is (may be) nvme compatible......which my upgrade bears out.

One issue though (and this may be related to the cloning software, macrium reflect, or just an uefi issue), but it's not respecting the boot order set in bios. I need to boot via the boot menu to select the nvme as the boot drive.  Have you encountered that issue Sudhakar27? 

I'm going to try a few suggestions on the macrium forums (disconnecting hard drive on first boot, and/or the rescue util has a fix boot util that handles that registration on UEFI systems).

• sudhakar27

Tinkerer

2days back I installed Samsung 970 evo plus 250gb on my Acer spin3 314-51. I went 2 service center get installed clean wndows OEM installation on Samsung 970evo plus, everything working fine. Previously used gygabyte m.2 nvme. Samsung is much more faster than gigabyte. But spin 3 mother board support  pcie ×2, not 4. Also replaced wifi adaptor from stock to Intel wifi6 ax200 wifi adaptor which is bluetooth 5 supported. Nw performance is much much better than previous.
  • JDminus1
    JDminus1 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just replaced SSD on my brand new Spin 3 SP314-53N with 256Gb SSD Patriot Scorch (PS256GPM280SSDR)
    Used Acronis for cloning the existing drive to a USB-stick, than booted from another USB-drive created by Acronis also. 
    After that I had to Initailize the new SSD and then clone from USB-stick back to the new drive.

Now I'm thinking on adding a HDD storage to it. Does anyone has any experience on that? My laptop does not have a specified HDD connector.
  • iMarkF
    iMarkF Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just replaced both the original 4GB RAM DIMM and 1TB 2.5" HDD with Crucial DDR4-2666 8GB RAM and  Crucial 2.5" SATA MX500 SSD and it's NIGHT AND DAY difference from the original stock configuration.  I didn't clone my original drive - just did a Windows Restore Media USB and let the UEFI pick it up and reinstall a clean version on the new SSD.  BIOS found the RAM and SSD HD right away and booted right to the Windows Setup.  I had installed the new RAM with the old HD in to see what the memory alone did for performance.  Was faster within some apps, but anything disk intensive, or opening multiple apps, taxed the drive still and was still very laggy most of the time.  So I swapped out the original spinning drive for the SSD, did a clean install of Windows from the restore USB, and the thing is amazingly fast now!  Literally took all of a couple hours end to end.  Performance with basic apps (browsers, productivity, multimedia, etc.) is almost on par with my smaller and lighter Asus ZenBook Flip (16GB RAM, core i7, 500TB NVME SSD) that I use for work!
  • mrb79ar
    mrb79ar Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey guys, nvme is supported on SP315-51-52UB variant!!!

I installed a WD without a screw (was a 2242 size), image attached. AND WORKS!!!!!!!!! 1gb/s